SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xoxoxoxo_gw

Just a few rants and raves

xoxoxoxo
13 years ago

Hello everyone !,

As a newbie to this forum, I just wanted to chat and get to know other fellow African Violet collectors . Also have a few rants and raves to share.

First of all, it is so nice to have a forum here for people like us. From what I can tell, this site has so many friendly members that are very willing to help those that are having problems growing violets. I enjoy reading everyons postings and pictures.

Now on to the rants ! What is it with Miracle Grow ?

I certainly am not a pro, but as one that has been growing violets and other tropical plants for years, I can tell good soil and plant food from garbage. In my opinion, everything Miracle Grow sells pertaining to house plants is garbage !

For the first time in my life, I picked up a bag of M G violet soil just to see how good it was. I planted a small Philodendron in it about 3 weeks ago. Already the soil is packing down hard as a rock. This is THEIR violet soil ?

In order for me to get this soil ready for violet growing, I would need to add quite a bit of Perlite and some Vermiculite.

Miracle Grow sells Perlite and Vermiculite, but it is all powder fine..and has plant food added to it !

Unfortunatly, in my small Massachusetts city and area, all I can now find is Miracle Grow soils, plant food, and Perlite and Vermiculite. It was not that way just a few years ago. At one time, we had many options here. Now, it seems like The Miracle Grow company has taken over everything.

It looks like I will now have to order everything online.

Are other members here dealing with the same problem ?

xo

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting