SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Beloved/Berated Carex Greyii

arbo_retum
13 years ago

Invasives is a topic we often dicuss on GW, and I just ran across of one of my favs. I fell in love w/ Carex Greyii years ago when I saw it's small bright green medeival mace-like(hey, what's not to like?!!!) gumballs in the everything-grows-there PNW. We really enjoyed it when we added it to our chasm area but we soon realized that it seeded itself more prolifically than any plant we had ever encountered here.(still true)The short wide bright green grass blade/seedlings are extremely easy to remove, so we DID succeed in countering its randiness after diligently removing its many hundred offspring.We moved it to a spot abutting the driveway and it has not been a problem since then. Cool looking eh? (In case that ascerbically witty Mr. Ken is preparing to launch some 'dominatrix' references my way, I hear you, Ken!)

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/
{{gwi:254562}}From BELOVED BERATED
carex greyii about 10"h x 12"w

Comments (4)

• gonativegal
    13 years ago

I love native sedges - can't you tell by my handle gonative :) and this one in particular. I use it when I have extras to spare at client's houses. It does self seed for me (I dig and pot up the extras) but not too much. Some of the other native sedges like C. rosea, bicknelli and especially blanda get a little nuts but they are so beautiful. There are so many, many more that are just so underused and hard to find: C. brevior, sprengelli, stricta, vulpinoides to name a few.

I like to mix the native sedges with the non native ones such as Carex morrowii & Carex glauca for a nice contrast. Pennsylvania sedge works especially well with these two.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gogal, so many to learn about. would love it if you'd post some image links for us!th so much,
    mindy
    is hobb's blue a cultivar of a native? (that's not an oxymoron is it?)That's my fav. new ...carex?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

I have never seen anything reseed like some of the native sedges. Unbelievable. Been pulling out seedlings for months.

• anitamo
    13 years ago

How can you tell the difference between this sedge and the dreaded nut sedge? To me, it looks very similar.