SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

'Firehouse' Acer saccharum: need info

katrina1
15 years ago

Help,

My daughter and I just today got talked into purchasing a #7 gallons potted sugar maple 'Firehouse' cultivar. No roots were growing out of the bottom drainage holes in the pot, and the tree's trunk is about a half inch thick. The tree seemed to have a very dense and full canopy which cast heavy shade.

We were told that it will grow moderately fast (about 1.5 feet yearly) in our area, and that it will grow to about 50 feet tall and 30 feet wide.

I tried to pull up a search for more information about this cultivar and got no hits.

Is this a really new cultivar?

Can anyone give me more information about this tree?

We want to plant this tree, in her front yard, at about a point where a line drawn 15 feet north from the southern most corner of her house and a line drawn from the front most point of her house for 20 feet, going west, will intersect.

I know that the sugar maples produce much more hard of wood than the faster growing maples. which I never would purchase for planting in our area. Another good thing is we managed to get a tree with very strong branch crotches. The major branches seemed to be growing from the trunk at an almost 45 degree angle. I do not know if the grower had trained them to do this or if the tree naturally grew them that way. We did see others of the same cultivar of maple we could have picked, which had main branches that were growing with very "V" shaped crotches. So it seemed a real blessing to find the better crotched one that we chose.

Will this tree be harmed by being in full sun? That is, especially if it is planted in our summer sunset rated zone of 8? There is a young maple, which is currently growing, south of where we want to plant this one, but this tree is not yet large enough to provide our maple with any southwest sun shading. Also there is no house which would shade the tree from the direct afternoon sun exposure.

My daughter's sugar maple will be planted with it's root flare 2 inches higher than the virgin clay soil grade in a yard, which slopes well and thus is fairly well draining for clay soil. It also will be only about 15 feet away from an area where the water table is high during rainy periods; due to that area being near the bottom of a down sloping swale. The water's flow progress is slowed slightly at bottom of the swale as the runoff meets the curbing and the water more slowly begins to overflow just prior to when the water manages to run down the street into a stormwater runoff drain.

Since I have read that maples like access to moist but well draining soil, it is my hope that planting the tree about 15 feet slightly uphill from the swale will be very helpful especially in the hot summers whenever the yard is watered or when stormy rain showers blow through.

In the past I only would plant Japanese Maple trees, or multi-trunked Paper Bark maple trees. I always avoided other maples because of the problems I saw with them as growing so fast and producing very weak wood, along with producing very invasive roots which rob water and soil nurients from most of the landscape beds. Even landscape beds that are 40 - 50 feet away those fast growing maple's root flares, once the trees were mature.

One last question: will this cultivar of maple be weedy in such landscaping beds, by being prolifc in the quantity of germinating seeds that it generates?

Comments (15)