SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_gw

Need Tree Selection Help

sheila
17 years ago

I'm not new to the GW but I have never posted to this forum so I'd like to say hello and to ask for your guidance.

I Iive in zone 8 at the tip of the Olympic Peninsula in Western Washington State and I'm looking for a tree.

My house is on the coast - I'd say I'm about a hundred feet from the Strait of Juan de Fuca with with only a row of single story houses between me and the water...and about ten to fifteen feet above water level. I have a two story house that needs a tree out front.

Can't be too tall, because I don't want to block the view from the upper level, which is where the living room is to take advantage of that view. I'm thinking about ten-fifteen feet tall full grown. It's a very windy spot and the air is salty. It would be in a NE facing spot so it would get some morning sun. I don't want it to get too wide.

Deciduous or not, doesn't really matter to me. Soil is pretty good and drainage is decent. We get some frosts in winter but the av. doesn't get much below 35 I'd say...rainfall is about 18" a year - most of it in the winter. Although we're not so very far from Seattle we are protected by the rain shadow. Summer temps. are moderate, much above 70 is a heatwave for us, although we do get higher temps once or twice in the summer. This climate is very like an English climate but not so wet.

I would truly appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (6)