SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

I know that most the folks here deal with small engines

But, I would like your opinions on farm tractors like AC Ford ETC, if anyone has experience?

My old, 1954 AC CA will start right up as long, as the battery isn't dead, even after sitting 6 months. My Dads old AC B did also. If the battery will turn it over about 2 times it fires off.

My neighbors (6 of them) have old Fords, Farmall's, John Deere's, and such. They keep them under sheds or barns and the darn things won't start half of the time!

Since I'm the local "fix it" man they call me. Most of the time I never find an actual problem.

They are getting gas,No water in gas, good spark, and have decent compression, although not as high of compression as my AC.

The only solution most of the time is to spin it, wait for the starter to cool, repeat until it finally starts.

Do you think it is the lower compression?

I've thought it may be because some of them have magnetos instead of coils. But the Fords have coils.

I converted my Dads old AC B to a coil years ago, but not because it was hard to start. I did it because it was cheaper for me to "engineer" it than to have the magneto rebuilt.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions