SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
futique

Neighbor's tree just dropped a 25lb limb on my house...

futique
14 years ago

Neighbor has poorly maintained 85ft+ Siberian Elm tree in her backyard, with limbs that extend approximately 20 feet into my property. Today, while outside with my 2 year old daughter, a section of the tree that overhangs my driveway and house fell, hitting my roof, and landing in the driveway.

This happened about 20ft away from where we were standing at the time. Obviously, I am concerned for the safety of my daughter while in the backyard, and would like to see the remaining sickly limbs removed.

Finding laws specific to Colorado is proving difficult. From what I have gathered, I have the right to remove all tree limbs that overhang my property, as long as I don't damage the overall health of the tree. Sadly, this would be my expense, and since the tree is nearly 100ft tall, would be approximately $500 to have it done.

A few things to consider:

1. This tree is poorly maintained. There are large sections of it that are dead, and have fallen before.

2. The neighbor is a total burnout, who is famous for leaving garbage in their yard, including a television set that sat on their sidewalk for nearly 2 months. IE- They don't care about their property, or what anyone else thinks.

Right now, I think I will contact the city, and my home insurance company tomorrow, in an effort to get their input.

In addition, I will speak to the neighbor, and let her know that the tree is a hazard to my person and property, and I would appreciate it if she addresses it. I will also send her notice VIA return receipt mail that says the same thing in more concrete terms, in order to generate a paper trail.

Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing, and if so, anything you would suggest or would do differently?

Comments (13)