SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harleysilo

Need to Rebuild Craftsman LT-1000 Mower Deck

harleysilo
10 years ago

Okay, so it's been like 20 years since i rebuilt a mower deck...i grew up working on a farm, and rebuilt all kinds of stuff under the supervision of my dad. Over the past month a slowly increasing whirring noise/whining noise has started coming from my mower deck. So it's time to play shade tree mechanic again....

First off this is a hand me down lawnmower, i service it once a year, and have had it to the shop once or twice, they fixed a leaky front part on the engine (forget what they said it was). The engine runs fine, and it does what i need it to do, for now.

So here is where i'm at. I pressure washed the crap out of it, top of the deck is pretty darn rusted, tonight my goal is to drop the deck and see it's true condition. I've sprayed all the nuts and bolts on the deck the past two nights with PB blaster.

I'm assuming the noise is bearings going in the mandrel?

It looks like there are 2 other pulleys that could be making the noise.

Here are some pictures, not the best, i was taking them to remind myself of how it is mounted and the belt is run....not for showing ya'll rust damage, i'll take and post more when i get her apart.

{{gwi:347870}}

{{gwi:347872}}

{{gwi:347874}}

{{gwi:347876}}

You can see in the 3rd photo how the "Striper" part is rusted, it's like that on both sides.

Another thing i don't understand is why i have so much grass build up on top of the deck, it seems like there would be a part that seals off the space around the "Deck Mandrel Housing".

Link to my mower's parts drawings, names and prices

Here is a link that might be useful: Sear's Parts Quide

Comments (15)