SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eherrman

Lawn mower stalls after running for 15 minutes

eherrman
13 years ago

A few months back, I bought an 42" Ariens Hydrostatic Mower with a 20 HP Briggs and Stratton V-tech engine. I have been pretty happy with it over all, but a week or so ago it started stalling after it runs for 15 minutes.

I have replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil and filter, and cleaned the air filter. The fuel filter does not appear to be clogged, but I went ahead and ordered one. I also ordered a new air filter and pre-cleaner. So, I am planning to try all of the simple maintenance things first.

I noticed when I disconnected the fuel filter that there was a gurgling noise as though, it sounded like the fuel tank was depressurizing. After doing some online research, I read that the problems I am having could be caused by a vacuum being caused by clogged ventilation in the fuel tank. I started my mower up last night and let it run until it began to stall and then quickly took off the gas cap. After doing this the engine began running normally and never died. I am hoping that the vent in the gas cap is clogged and I am in the process of tracking down a new one. However, I was wondering if some of you more mechanically inclined individuals have any suggestions for me to try in the meantime so I can get this thing up and running? Based on my experiment last night, what are the odds that the cap is the problem? I am afraid that removing the gas cap only helped to alleviate a problem elsewhere.

Thanks a ton for your advice!

P.S. Here is a link to the mower:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjl/R-202018736/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions