SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocimad27_gw

Advice on compost bin

13 years ago

I'll try to keep this short. I would like to hear what advice/thoughts you may have about my compost bin.

After doing a little research online, I decided on the location and style(shade and breath-ability). I layered the bottom/middle with a pile of branches to provide air pockets and then added grass clippings and leaves. There hasn't been any real method to the additions other than as I produce them by raking or mowing the yard. Occasionally some of the household scraps will be added also. I've never noticed any steam coming off of it and never noticed any type of smell at all. I have raked it maybe twice, but that is kind of difficult with the sticks in the middle.

There is no shortage of life in it. I see all kinds of earthworms, little beetle looking bugs, ants, nasty looking mole crickets, and sow bugs. The birds are in their glory in there in the mornings. The lizards make afternoon meals out of it.

My questions are:

1. Should I be doing any type of regular maintenance to it?

2. How do I know when the material is ready to use as compost?

3. I'd like to try SFG. Will this material work for the 1/3 compost portion of Mel's Mix.

4. It stays moist, is that good or bad?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost pictures

Comments (6)