SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althea_gw

Growing a Shag Bark Hickory from Seed

althea_gw
10 years ago

Hi. Last summer I gathered a pocket full of hickory nuts that had fallen from a neighbors tree to plant in our yard. I read they have spotty germination, so I planted several. I covered he spot where I most wanted a Shag Bark to grow with chicken wire to keep squirrels out. Some other creature burrowed underneath the wire and today I found one of the two nuts I planted was missing. I looked at the one that is left and didn't see any signs of growth. Then I gently squeezed the shell and half of it broke off. I found the nut is still intact so I re-buried it.

I haven't seen any signs of tree growth in the other spots where I planted nuts. I also kept a couple of nuts un-planted and left them on the 3-season porch for cold treatment then, a few weeks ago planted them in a pot inside. There is no sign of growth yet.

Is it typical for hickory's to take a long time to come up in the spring? How long should I wait before just getting an established Shag Bark from a grower? I'd rather grow one from seed to avoid the tap root problem.

Comments (11)