SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tgplp

a question about Rob's Violet Barn

12 years ago

Hi everyone! I really like African Violets, and will probably order some leaves from Lyndon Lyon's, and also a few plants from the Violet Barn.

Quick question for anyone who has ordered from Rob's Violet Barn: do the plants you order usually have buds or blooms? I've ordered from them before but my three plants didn't have buds yet. :( I really want to order from them again because of the variety of plants.

Thanks!

Taryn

P.S. any suggestions of other places to order African Violets, that'd be great!

Comments (43)

• 12 years ago

Taryn, I've received plants from The Violet Barn that were almost in full bloom and others that took 3-4 months in my care before I saw the first blooms.... I would guess that any plant that is in high demand will be shipped out as soon as it's established while those that are not as popular will probably be more mature when shipped. Personally, choosing a specific variety is more important to me than having a mature or blooming plant upon arrival. --Tim

• 12 years ago

It's been my experience in talking with those at the Violet Barn and LLG that they send you the largest plant they have at the time whether it's blooming or not.

Some varieties bloom quite soon in their growth and others take a while. And, as Tim said, some take a while to adjust to new growing conditions.

If you order early in the season you often get less mature plants than if you order later. However, if you wait, they may be out of popular varieties.

Linda

• Related Discussions

Order from Violet Barn!!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    Ann - provided your violets are semi-minis - Rob's ..., but not Rob's trailers - the size about 3oz solo cup is the one you need to maintain - exactly what Fred advises. So next time you do your repotting - 1 of March + 4 months - you trim the bottom of the rootball, remove lower row of leaves and pot your violet so the lower row now is just above the soil. Long neck is not harmful - just unsightly. So if it irritates you - you can do it now - or wait for 3 more months if it is not that bad. If any of your violets are trailers - and Rob has great semi-mini trailers - you need to increase the size of the pot every time you repot keeping the pots shallow. They look the best and grow the best in bulb pans kind of pots. Personally I do not believe in clay pots for violets, especially for minis and semis except for using as a cashepot. You can grow them in solo cups - and just insert them in a pot for decorating the table or whatnot - and when the bloom is over - back to the shelf. Since you are interested in streps - you never put them lower in the pot, quite opposite - you try to plant them in the position King-of-the-Hill - and add more perlite to the mix. Get prepared for the super blooming! Irina
    ...See More

Intro & Question about Rob's Humpty Do

Q

Comments (4)
    Welcome back to the violet world! I also own a plant of Rob's Humpty Doo: its a semi-minature trailer. Like yours, mine was tiny when I received it and now a year or two later, it completely covers a 10" circular bowl. This plant is a great grower and has never been without blooms (and its a chimera to boot!) You can let it trail from the pot or plant it as a groundcover as I did. The bowl I used came from some fast food joint. . . the depth is only about 2" so makes it ideal for small trailers. Enjoy yours as its a most rewarding plant.
    ...See More

What to get from Violet Barn?

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Begonia and Irina, Thanks for the post, I have very similar "criteria." I have noticed that Holtkamp or Optimara seems to keep coming out with new colors and blooms each year. I read (here, I think) that the reds are still being developed in color. It might be a while yet before they are that deep rose-red we would like to see. I got Old Fashioned Rose mini from LLG, a mini rose shape. It looks good. I got some variegated plants from LLG because I wanted a rose look in the blossoms. Irina, I appreciated your advice on LLG. Back to Begonia, Beauty Goddess Russian, liveliness of blossom color, size, and easy to grow plant. Bob Serbin has gotten large. The bloom stalks have clusters of very large triple blooms. Powder Keg got too large, it has fewer blooms. I moved them into bigger pots, so that is probably why they got too big. My Live Wire is in its first bloom and doing well. I got two of Midnight Sun at the same time. They are doing well. Linda said the source of the light would not affect the color of the blossom. When these plants first bloomed, they were under fluorescent. At the time, the blooms were deeper red. Joanne47 This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 9:34
    ...See More

begonias - the violet barn - robsviolets.com - caveat emptor!

Q

Comments (8)
    I wonder if this is a case of ' the kind of help you have to employ these days' Usually the approach taken in all matters is dictated by the owner or a manager. Some quite large independent operations are micromanaged by owners who have their nose in everything. And even many large corporate structures have all their meetings and their memos to make sure everyone is towing the line. Don't know anything about this particular place but this may be another small nursery that is really a hobby business, that got started to help pay for a personal collection - or has other reasons for being in operation besides developing a big money making venture. Point being, especially if you come at them with a certain tone they may not care to maintain a flawlessly "professional" image throughout the whole exchange - they are not trying to make the place into something with a highly commercial, handshakes and frozen smiles profile. And they could have three other people standing there waiting for them to get off the line with you. If you got a replacement order that means they pretty much ate the whole thing in order try and appease you.
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago

Thanks guys. I think I will order a couple varieties that I want, and then the option where they choose a variety that is budded or in bloom.

I was going to order some leaves from Lyndon Lyon's, but the shipping cost was $35! Yikes! Is it this high in the summer, too? I hope that the shipping cost is less at Rob's Violet Barn.

Taryn

• 12 years ago

LLG's winter shipping requires an insulated box, a heat pack and priority shipping. I just ordered many leaves from them. I am just getting into AV's and I didn't want to wait until it warms up so I paid the shipping but made it worth my while by ordering leaves of 18 varieties. I received two of each. All were in great condition.

• 12 years ago

For larger, ready-to-bloom plants, I prefer Lyndon Lyon to Rob's. LL's plants are generally larger, many times in bloom, and they have a great selection, as well.

As for the shipping cost, if you wait until April, the costs will come down dramatically.

In the meantime, also check out Bloomlovers. Tina provides plugs and leaves that may be somewhat less expensive, and she has a great selection as well.

Bluebird Nuseries is another great source, as is Travis Violets.

• 12 years ago

I can definitely vouch for Bluebird Greenhouse (www.bluebirdgreenhouse.com) as I've ordered from them a couple times. The plants were always large, well packed, and typically in bud or bloom. They recently down-sized their operation and don't have as large a selection as they once had, but still have many varieties of AVs. I have never ordered violets from Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses, but I have ordered Episcias from them. They were huge! As far as Violet Barn goes, I have heard some mixed reviews. I've heard their plants tend to be on the small side and that their potting mix is fairly heavy, causing you to have to repot in short order. They do carry some fantastic varieties though, but I have never personally ordered from them.

Mark

• 12 years ago

The good part about ordering directly from a hybridizer - Dr. Robinson (Barn) or Paul Sorano (Lyndon Lyon) - you can get their newest hybrids and they send you the variety you ordered, no sports - I presume that errors are quite rare. The second good part - we are supporting the hybridizers.

The issue regarding large plants and small plants - they will all grow to their potential eventually - month earlier or month later. These two hybridizers have very different plants - and it is a question of taste - what you like the best - big and beautiful blossoms - with a bit loose growth or a plant that grows very symmetrically - show quality - without too much effort.

Plus for some people Rob's plants are more challenging to grow well.

I.

• 12 years ago

I've ordered pretty much all of my 20 some violets from Violet Barn in 2 orders. They were all in great shape, different sizes, some blooming, some small, some large. I moved them to wick immediately, and have had problems with disease here and there, may be partly my mistakes as a newbie, but I've only lost 1 plant so far. My struggle may be due partially to my "wicking" and constant dampness, as opposed to Rob's plants, as some do great wicked, some do lousy.

• 11 years ago

Hello. I had some good luck and bad luck with Rob's Violets (Violet Barn). Where the packing is great, some of the plants are too immature to send out. I have a degree in landscape design; BUT my passion is violets...and anything gesneriad, lol. Within days after receiving a mini (Jolly Jubilee), it died. I contacted Violet Barn and I was told they would replace in my next order. Since I only order once a year, I figured I'd remind them when I was about to place an order a few weeks ago...even though I have an email I kept about thr replacement they did not live up to their email. The plant was so immature that upon inspection after it kept declining, there was very little root mass...maybe it was an accident they sent it out, BUT...I will not order again after the ripoff and their inconsiderate email to me when I was going to place my June order with them. Do I recommend them...a big hearty NO! Still have the email that they would replace if anyone wants proof...and the email that they have no record of them saying this.

• 11 years ago

Cameron -

I ordered plants from different vendors and there is always a chance that something is not going to make it. Rob's is in my opinion one of the very best on the quality - and I mean his stuff is clean. I would better lose a plant than get a heap of mealy bugs or mites - and that happened to me and not only to me.

I am sure you can find Jolly Jubilee and other wonderful Pittman's Jollies - they are show plans from the day one - and much less prone to suckering than a lot of other minis and semi-minis.

I have positive experience with Rob's stuff - but they run their business as business, they are not friends and family, warm and fuzzy. They make a living in the very lean conditions and they cannot afford to send all replacements separately. Do not take this mishap personally, it is just the way they need to do it to survive.

Plus - you can get Jolly plants somewhere else - but Rob's and Ma's violets and Bristol's streps are their hybrids. You want to purchase their new stuff - that's the only place.

So - do not get stressed, enjoy the violets and accept - that some of the AVs do not survive shipping, some AVs croak from root rot in front of you and every so often the most beautiful chimeras sport into something that looks like blah. Happens... but we keep growing.

I.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

By the way, staff at Violet Barn (Ralph and Alice) told me that they were not a retail store, they are an online order business. Does it mean that as an online order company, they will not try to satisfy their customers? even the one who spent $200 in the first order? Alice even yelled at me on the phone. Now I am stuck with $200 worth of tiny pathetic African violets as my biggest mistake ordering online.

• 8 years ago

I think the point isn't to get generic large violets, but unique or hard to find varieties. Sorry you had to go through this, but I guess that is a good lesson for people ordering online! Unless it says you will be receiving that exact plant, expect to have a cutting. All mine grew fine, but that's also what I expected for the price.

• 8 years ago

Hi Ocelaris: Thanks for your comment. I have pictures of the ones from my local florist. They are not the generic ones. They have large flowers and nice colors, pattern. For a tiny pathetic plant that costs $8 + Express shipping from Violet Barn that would be dying on me, and I do not even know if I can see its bloom, I would rather enjoy some blooms from full grown plants early enough LOL. Will post picture of my $200 worth of investment from Violet Barn tonight.

Below are the ones from my local florist:

And I picked the two below with large flowers:

• 8 years ago

You got some nice plants from your local florist.

Most beginner AV growers get their plants from their local grocer, hardware store, or sometimes, florist.

That way they get plenty of practice growing plants from which they receive immediate gratification, ...

Growers will begin to gravitate to what's available online when they are looking for specific plants which they can't find locally. Believe it or not, many growers will only purchase individual leaves, from which they can raise plants ideally adapted to their growing conditions. Less mature plants (and leaves) also carry much less risk of harboring AV pests ... and ship easier.

As I said before, you no doubt received viable plants from Violet Barn, though you may have to find someone better versed in growing AV's to get them to full size. Perhaps that's your husband ... or your husband knows someone. It's possible that there is an AV club nearby which could provide you with necessary assistance.

• PRO
    8 years ago

xmahini

Since you are an admitted newbie, let me explain something. The violets you got at the nursery are referred to as 'generic' because they can be found at every big box store, grocery and nurseries anywhere. These are Optimara violets and they are bred for easy growing as well as heavy blooming. They are a favorite as gifts although many experienced growers grow them. If what you are looking for is a big, blooming plant, this is where you find them. Growers like Lyon and Violet Barn cater to those of us who want different and/or unusual violets, not big, already-in-bloom plants. There is a heavy demand for some of their plants and some you receive may be small. If you feel that you are not experienced enough to handle these little ones, maybe practice on the Optimaras would bolster your confidence.

• 8 years ago

Here are my $182 worth of African violet plants from Violet Barn (including Express shipping). The biggest plant at the corner is from my local nursery for $12. Frankly I do not mind about half the plants they send me from Violet Barn. But more than half are way too tiny for $8/plant plus Express shipping. And the plant from my local nursery is only a medium size, not the largest I purchased this morning.

• 8 years ago

Here are my $182 worth of African violet plants from Violet Barn (including Express shipping) - all 2-in, compared to the 2-inch Ever Floris one from SelectiveGardener (upper right corner). For the same price $8 + Shipping, the one from Selective Gardener is much bigger and healthier.

• 8 years ago

Here is the medium size violet from my local nursery (dark purple $12) compared to the "seller picked" one from SelectiveGardener (smaller

flowers reddish purple $13, on sale for $10)

Please advise me that my $182 was well spent? My husband did not think so.

• 8 years ago

Thanks much for all of your comments.

• 8 years ago

The issue I have with Violet Barn is not about the types of violets that they have. I have never seen any full blown size flowers sent to me, how do I know if their tiny little weaklings are the best? I specifically requested that my purchase is a gift for my husband and that I want bigger plants, not small plants and contact me if they have small plants. They ignored my request and sent me these stupid tiny ones. Imagine how I can tell my husband happily that I have spent $182 on him! Nothing to show for but tiny weaklings!

• 8 years ago

Well Linda: How do I know these tiny little ones will grow up to let me see its true color or true size? I don't want promises of a good thing. A few already got weak and started dying (the one next to the white pot). I don't want tiny little ones, I would rather pay more money for a few larger ones. I told them I wanted bigger ones. If they cared to drop me an email, all these heart ache or disappointment will not be here. If theirs are so special, why don't they sell full blown ones or 4-inch ones at higher prices? I would be happy to pay for them.

• PRO
    8 years ago

You do not know if you will see these grow up. Anyone who grows plants knows there is no guarantee on whether plants will grow and thrive. Much depends on the grower's expertise which is only attained through years of growing, experimenting and tweaking their growing conditions. So maybe you bit off more than you can chew since you are not an experienced grower as it does seem you do want a promise of success. If this is so, you need to look elsewhere for a hobby. I am not being nasty, just truthful. If you want bigger blooming plants, you need to stick to the big-box store violets. And, yes, they do sell the 'full-blown' ones: at the African Violet shows. And, yes, they are special for those of us who have been growing a while. A newbie cannot see the difference; an experienced grower can. Apples and oranges, honey. Apples and oranges.

• 8 years ago

Haha, I love you, Linda!! But you must say: Apples and "promised" oranges, or Oranges and "promised" apples!!! I do not see the "promised" ones yet and I refuse to accept their values or their worth.

• 8 years ago

Okay, because of the great Linda and aegis1000, I am telling my husband to give Violet Barn a 6-8 weeks try. If these plants survive and offer the same flowers as their pictures, then I will go back to edit my initial complaint and who knows, I may have even have a glorious review of their online store. For now, I am just feeling upset... Will keep you all posted. And I also want to see if Linda is right about Apples and Oranges haha. I consider myself as newbie, but we have grown German violets that we got from Pier 1 Imports 30 years ago - quite successfully, for a long period of time, when being students at UCB.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Most of us on here try not to resort to sarcasm and know-it-allism but since you decided to refrain, I am bowing out. Maybe you will see the difference, maybe you won't but I will pit my knowledge of AV's as a long-time grower as well as a judge against your newbism any time. And maybe, instead of ranting against that of which you know little, you can ask some of the experienced growers here how to keep your $182.00 worth of violets alive. Good luck. Just keep me out of it.

• 8 years ago

Patience!!! You will eventually get something that will never happen in Big Box Stores. You will get your exquisite pedigreed varieties that will take your breath away. They are worth the money and time - nurture them. There is a Wow factor - it is not present in commercial varieties. Now - it is in your hands. Use your skills an knowledge - repot them in bigger pots as they grow, replace the soil with the one that works better for your house, use good fertilizer... now it is not about a vendor - it is about your personal green magic.

Turnips are bigger than roses...but we enjoy roses more...

Good things always start small and require efforts. Puppies are not born housebroken, human babies need 20 years of training before they become marginally civilized... Even husbands do not come with a fine skill to close the toilet lid after themselves - you need to work on them for years...

• 8 years ago

Your Violet Barn purchases look fantastic.

I would be overjoyed to have received plants that are as advanced and healthy as they are. And, as I mentioned previously, ... there are a number of AV pests which you are likely, avoiding having to deal with.

As has been said by others, ... now it is up to you (and your husband). If you apply yourselves to the cultivation and growth of these plants, you will achieve something lasting and memorable ... and something that you would never find at a local retailer.

It sounds like it would be a good idea for you and/or your husband (i.e. whoever is the real grower) ... to contact and become part of a local AV club, where you will receive helpful advice ... and have future opportunities to purchase fully grown plants.

Because of the hazards of shipping, it's just much more likely that you will receive plants which are full-size and blooming locally, rather than mail-order.

As a final word, I'd like to show a photo of a plant I have which was grown from a plant much like what you received from Violet Barn ...

Private Dancer

P.S. Check to see if your water provider uses Chloramine in their water processing.

(Check your water provider's water quality report).

If your provider does use Chloramine, you need to use a different source of water for your plants. I currently use Glacier Spring water from a dispensery at my grocers.

Chloramine is toxic to African Violets, though some plants may survive it for a time.

I would hate for you to lose any of your plants due to Chloramine poisoning ...

• 8 years ago

Also I would suggest some of Robs other varieties of genesaids, some are much more floriferous and I have not found them easily elsewhere. One streptocarpus I got from Rob I gave a great aunt, who can't maintain regular violets, has had great success and it's become her very favorite plant in her home. And this was just a random side order from Robs. Some of the chimeras that I got from Rob were spectacular (eventually), and it's true my mother has larger violets which she regularly gets from the grocery store, but there's something in knowing you have a plant which is one in a million. I will try and dig up some photos of the plants I got from Rob, they grew very quickly, too fast even!

• 8 years ago

Hi aegis, yes, East Bay Municipal Water District uses chloramine in their water. Then I must buy special water to water my plants then. Thanks for letting me know.

• 8 years ago

You spent a bunch of money on what you refer to as inferior sized plants. I know from working in an African Violet greenhouse shipping is expensive. Having said that,,,,,,,you expected large plants that are ready for big box stores. Instead you got "starts" as I call them. Perfect for shipping!

Please take a step back. Listen to the advice of the experienced people on this forum who are really only trying to help you.

You will never get a "big" (the size of your florist/store plant) through the mail. However think of it this way,,,,,I would rather have what you received and grow it on knowing that a small (good size for shipping and manhandling) plant will recover quicker and start to get to the business of recovery and growing than a "big" plant that will lose most of those large leaves to breakage and, again, shipping and manhandling!

You have already expressed your reasons for being angry. Now try a little patience and since you do have the plants in your possession, grow those little babies with all the attention and caring that you can give them. I think you will find they will respond and in the end,,,,,you will be glad you did. It won't take long.

You don't have to order from that place again. That will be your choice. Just remember, most places are going to ship you the same type/size that you are currently complaining about.

I wish I had $200 to order the "little" plants you got. I would be thrilled!!!! I would rather start with smaller and grow it "my way" than try to "nurse" larger ones that had no business being shipped in the first place because they were too large to safely ship!

Enjoy those little babies and before long, with good care (and that is what ANY violet large or small should have) you are going to see flower sprouts! A violet doesn't have to be "full grown big and large" to produce flower buds!

By the way, when those beauties start blooming both of you will be glad you have them. I would love to see photos of them as they come into bloom! Rosie

• 8 years ago

Dear Rosie: thanks for taking time to write and to let me know. I have learned a lot from our great people in this forum. Looking back, my initial disappointment may have started because I received three full size AV from SelectiveGardener a few days before with no broken leaves or flowers (in one of the pictures I posted). So expectation was high on my part. Besides I have never ordered on websites for "professional" AV growers before. I got sick of seeing my husband having to bid on ebay (bidding is a waste of time), thinking one-stop purchase will help him get over the whole AV buying all together haha. So obviously I was angry when my husband asked: you spent nearly $182 and I must stay at home to wait for the package for all this? Especially when I specifically requested them to contact me if they have small plants LOL

I will promise to keep posting these BABIES' progress with pictures. May be I should take a picture of each of them now, and then each of them 6-8 weeks from now. If they grow well and become beautiful, it may be some way I can repay Violet Barn for my premature "venting". I do not mind to gift leaves to members who are helping me now, if these plants can grow to bloom.

Again, thank you very much to all kind members who took valuable time our of your days to give me invaluable advices and great comfort.

• 8 years ago

I am so happy that you rose above your initial anger etc. Now you can get down to the business of raising what should end up to be beautiful violets!!!

Yes, I would take progressive pix. I know I would love to see them and that way YOU can track the progress and in addition, realize that they ARE growing well from a younger age!

Your expectations were high, I understand your eventual disappointment, but good for you to not let it define how you were going to take care of the "new kids"!

Will be waiting for that first flower pix! Good luck!!!! We will still be here for ya!!!!! Rosie

• 8 years ago

Thanks again sweet, Rosie.

All, I just came across the article entitled "Tidbits for the Novice African Violet Grower" by Debbie McInnis, in which she mentioned that the first thing she brings a new violet into her home is to cut off blooms (and I have been crying wolf asking for more blooms from purchased AV plants), isolate it, treat it for pests, etc. (the first time I have any knowledge about it) Oh my, we are getting into more troubles than we initial thought. It is not just about buying and wasting money stuff LOL. It is about dedication and tender loving care, may be worse (in time-consuming term) than having another child! Our teenage son may secretly dump all our AV plants because he already has a great demand on our time haha. I have been responding to all his questions to me "ah ha, ah ha, can you repeat again..." at night while searching for AV plants or reading and responding to all these great posts about AV LOL. One day my son may request that mom will shut up the computer and listen to him more carefully.

It is funny, when he was a young child, he was sad to return a beta fish back to his uncle after babysitting him for a few weeks. That made dad jump into the venture of having the first fish tank for him. Beginning with a 10-gallon freshwater tank to dozens of larger fish tanks throughout the years (acrylic, glass, Hexagonal, half circle, Biorb, etc. with all sorts of fishes and baby fishes) and ended up with another half a dozen of saltwater tanks with corals, hard corals, tons of anemonies, etc. Just a simple business of replacing a little beta for a child became an expensive hobby for dad - all to make our local fish/aquarium stores rich. So now I am really afraid of our new AV adventure....When to stop!

• 8 years ago

Much cheaper... as long as you do not branch up into Orchids...

• 8 years ago

Oh it is too late for me as far as orchids are concerned! Our Lowes puts them on 50%-75% off as soon as the blooms fade. When you go in there as often as I do you know which ones are which color (usually!) Same goes for the violets! Not that I don't buy enough at full price (with my military discount!)

All this adds up to one word-----ENABLERS----and you have come to the right group! roflmbo!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha Rosie

• 8 years ago

LOL!!!

• 8 years ago

Btw, hubby just handed me all the BABIES (for him, still tiny weaklings) that I ordered online to take care of - after I warned him about all the potential diseases and the intricate details of how to take care of african violets. So now their fate is in my hands, nourishing them or killing them haha. So I will start cataloging them, taking picture of them, and reporting my bi-weekly progress to Judge Irina. He said that all he wanted was only a few really good ones, but he kept looking at cute pictures on ebay. Pictures, not real ones, HELLO! I do not have shelves with fluorescent lights, so I will put them on my breakfast nook table with windows facing the east, under the LED lights that are supposed to be as bright as the sunlight. Will see how it goes.

• 8 years ago

You will do just fine. Don't overwater,,,,a well watered plant has a little "weight" to it. One that needs water is usually light as a feather. Water thouroughly and lift the pot and pay attention to the "weight" of it. Lift it again in a week,,,,you will see the difference!

Lights are nice but a lot of us don't have them. Windows are also great and just rotate the plants in and out once in a while.

Good luck and let us know. Bet when hubby sees them bloom he will take possession once again! lol Rosie

• 8 years ago

Xmahini, You live in the East Bay? So do I! See below, I will gladly give you lots of violets if we happen to live within BART-able distance!!! I am winding down my collection after many years of experimenting with various colors and varieties. I know what I like and what does best with my care.

By the way, the older posts are dated from 2012, so I take it that you piggy-backed onto an older discussion?

Those violets you got at your local nursery are totally typical for a California-raised violet!!! We Californians are absolutely spoiled rotten, there is no comparison to what you buy in a commercial nursery that is intended as a decoration for non-collectors to what you get as a baby start from an east coast nursery!

If you want to tell me where you live, send me an email, or a private message, then if we are nearby, I will gladly divest myself of some large violets. I am suddenly "over" the addiction and am eager to donate some of my violets. I disconnected my private message, but I will try to connect it again. Or I will try to send you a PM.

As Rosie said, when you order from a mail order company, you get small violets so you can grow them out in your own environment.

Your husband and yourself and your violets will be much happier and so will your pocketbook if you buy from Lyndon Lyon's Greenhouse in upstate New York. You can find them on the internet. They are the second oldest violet hybridizer, grower and retail outlet on the planet, second only to Optimara. They will suggest violets to you, they send large sizes in bloom, they answer correspondence, their prices are reasonable. They set the standards that few others measure up to. They have great potting mix for sale. Their best-growing violets are the older standards in the blue-purple ranges. Another favorite of mine is FancyBloomers in New Jersey, but she does not have as wide a selection. Her own hybrids are the best. Large, easy growing.

I have been growing and ordering for years, those are my go-to's.

If you want truly foolproof and large, order some of the Russians.

Now, I live in a part of the country that is very compatible with Lyon's types of plants and I grow in natural light, for the most part, without strict temperature controls.

Other people who live in other areas have better success with other growers. So you might find some "heated" arguments on this forum. But for starting a collection and getting more bang for your buck, the next time, give Lyon's a try. If they don't ship at specific times of the year, there is valid reason, they seem to have a good grasp of what will produce the happiest plants.

Others on this forum have recommendations of who to buy from on EBay. I have no experience buying violets on EBay so I can't comment.

I have not read all of the comments, but most likely Aegis advised you, do not use tap water or water with a filter. It must be spring water. I get the local brand at Safeway, I think it is called Arrowhead.

Also, there are several fun violet clubs in the area. I can hook you up, girl!

Well, I scanned the above posts, and must comment that Linda, Irina and Aegis are very best and most patient violet experts on the web, especially Linda and Irina, with professional experience and Aegis with much related horticultural experience. They very generously got many of us started here and still come by to give advice!

Joanne

• 8 years ago

Edited

• 8 years ago

Joanne:

How do I send you an email or private message? I thought that our emails are not shown to all members here? Thanks.

• 8 years ago

To send a private email you can 1) click on the person's name above their post and "follow" them or 2) enable private messaging from your gwf home page. Rosie

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living