SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johncini7

Carburetor keeps flooding 1 minute after starting

johncini7
11 years ago

I have a Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp engine. The carburetor needed cleaning because it wasn't getting enough gas through one of the jets. I had to pull the choke out half way or it would keep surging. After I cleaned the carb and put it back together, I started it and within one minute it died because of the over flowing gas from the top of the carb holes. I thought it was a problem with the need valve cause the gas was over flowing. I went and bought a new needle valve and put it in and the same problem occurs. I checked the float for holes and it is ok. I thought some dirt might have got in the seat so I blew the entire carb out. Every orfice. Same problem. I went back to the parts department and they pressure tested the seat with the new needle valve. They told me the seat was bad. I thought that was strange since the problem only started occuring after I disassembled the carb. I bought a new upper half of the carb. I put it on and it still floods. Somehow I keep thinking that the needle valve is not stopping the gas flow. I have rebuilt many carbs and never had a problem before.

Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions