SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob2568

Any reason to NOT get a diesel?

bob2568
16 years ago

I am considering getting a garden tractor along the lines of a Deere 430/455 or something comparable. I've never had a diesel, but hear many people recommend them for the better fuel economy and power.

Other than cost or having to move up to a bigger tractor, are there any disadvantages to a diesel? I plan to run it for mowing and using a johnny bucket in summer and snow plowing in winter.

Does the exhaust smell worse? Will I smell worse when I come in the house? Are they noiser? Any maintenance issues? What are your thoughts?

Comments (23)

• tmajor
    16 years ago

Definitely smell worse ... don't start it in the attached garage. You'll probably smell worse. You don't want to run out of fuel or they'll need to have the lines bled (unless the new ones have some hi-tech method for doing this).

However, they will keep the mosquitoes off of you.

They are OK. It just depends on your preferences. Fuel economy probably isn't a big factor, unless you are going to use it everyday.

• sawdust_maker
    16 years ago

Other issues to consider -

Verify if your small engine shop around the corner is able to repair a diesel engine.

I keep one can of gas in my garage. I can put the gas in my car, in my snowblower, in my tractor when they run low, even in my boat. The gas in that can never gets old, since its usually used within a few weeks. With a diesel tractor, I'd need a second can. The contents of each can would now stick around a little longer. For example, running a diesel tractor, I'd use relatively little gasoline, but I'd still need it for the snowblower, even though only about twice a year.

Winter use - I've heard that diesel engines are sometimes a bit cranky starting when it gets cold. When its time to plow the driveway around here, it can be really cold. Yes, I get cranky too then. My wife can't even get me started, glow plugs or not.

Diesel has its good points too. When gas is over $3 a gallon and I spend an entire day on the tractor, I find myself wishing it was a diesel engine.

John

• don21
    16 years ago

My Kubota makes no smoke and doesn't 'scare' any mosquitoes

I don't smell any different after mowing for an hour with it than I would if it was a gasoline powered tractor . . . . sweat is sweat ;-)

It also restarts after running it out of fuel the same way a gasoline tractor does - Pour in the fuel, turn the key, wait for the fuel pump to stop clicking and start the engine. No bleeding of anything required

It does burn about 1/2 the fuel of a similar sized gasoline engine - right at 1/2 gallon per hour in my case. Maintenance is no more complicated . . . . actually, it's less because I have no carburetor or spark plugs to mess with. Engine oil and filter changes every 100 hours is about it

I wore out a couple of gasoline powered tractors before I bought a diesel - Wish I had figured it out sooner

They do cost more, but I can't think of any manufacturer who puts their diesel engines on stamped tin tractors, so when youy buy a diesel, EVERYTHING is better . . . . not just the engine. My Kubota has a hydro which will pop a wheelie . . . . on a 1,000 pound tractor. It also pulls stumps and fenceposts and it's 20 HP engine will mow rings around the 27 HP aircooled competition - Actually, there is no 'competition' at all ;-)

Don

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

No reason not to buy a diesel, but understand, as don21 said everything all parts are better(or heavier) therefore they cost more.
    I have a JD 2040 not a GT, but a utility, example just replaced the battery's I did say plural as in 2, at 140 ea thats $280 for battery change.
    This is a 40hp 3 cylinder (not real large).
    Diesel fuel, I lovingly call it 'stink oil' does stick to you if you get it on yourself. I have a pair of vinyl gloves I use when fueling (they stay with the tractor). If I am breathing the fumes for a while (2+ hrs) headache time. I don't keep the fuel containers (blue in color) in the garage but in a separate shed with other outdoor equipment. Spilled it does not evaporate just keeps stinking.
    Winter is OK with diesel's, new one's are really nice but just watch the fuel it can gel at 10 deg F, usually will be Ok to 0 F. - but no warnings it just quits running - one time and you learn.
    Plus's
    Starts quicker than a gas (you gotta have good battery's)
    both warm and cold weather. Older diesels needed a shot of ether though.
    More economical for fuel.
    Love the diesel rattle.

• cherokee_140
    16 years ago

I have an old JD650 (yanmar) and it is a mean little machine. I agree once you go diesel you never go back. I am however not sure as to if they are warranted in a garden tractor.

• chris_va
    16 years ago

For Don21....

You must have gotten a good one...I also have a Kubota diesel (21hp), it's quite simpley, crap. The Hydro is weak to say the least....was trying to pull a peice of concrete out from behind my bulkhead the other day with the tractor on GRASS and it wouln't even spin the tires over. The engine is weak too. The p218 Onan on my old Gravely I think will out pull it and will certianlly spin the tires over with no effort whatso ever. I know everyone says they're great, but I am pretty unhappy with mine. Good luck to you.

Chris

• machiem
    16 years ago

chris va,

I'm curious what 21hp diesel Kubota you have. Did you buy it new?

I'm thinking you may need to service the transaxle. Your owner's manual should provide details and a schedule.

• chris_va
    16 years ago

Machiem...

It is a GR 2100 with 63 hrs on it. I bought it new and it exihbited the same behavior new. So far, the only service required according to the manual (for the tanssmission) is a filter change and that was done on schedule.

Chris

• akachrisinmass
    16 years ago

To me it would be yet one more fuel to store around the house or barn. A potential pia IMHO.

That said Id love to have a diesel car..

• don21
    16 years ago

For Chris

I have a G-2160

J Langston did a lot of research comparing the 2100 to the 2160 before he bought one (a 2160) and he pretty well summed up the two in a post on another forum

"Stopped by the local 'bota dealer on the way home,and I saw both machines side-by-side. The GR2100 looks like a tinkertoy next to the G2160-the aluminum HST looks like really weak and light duty compared to the G2160's cast-iron HST,and the overall feel of the GR2100 compared to the G2160 is flimsy and cheap"

Not all diesels are created equal . . . . nor are all Kubotas ;-)

Don

• machiem
    16 years ago

I'm not familiar with the GR series other than they are reported to be really good lawn mowers.

I'm thinking you have a warranty issue.

As for diesel, if you can stand storing another fuel can (should be yellow, not blue...) there shouldn't be an issue. You can convert to bio-diesel if the smell is bad.

• johnsinva
    16 years ago

Chris:

Don21 is spot on, the GR series Kubotas should be considered to be top of the line lawn tractors or very light duty garden tractors. Kubota does not offer ground engaging implements for these tractors for a reason, and I believe you have discovered why. As far as choice of materials for the tranny housing, the only thing cast iron adds as and advantage over aluminium is weight, which is useful but not a deal breaker. The TuffTorq K91 on my 445 has an aluminium housing and it's pretty much bulletproof. As an aside a Kubota dealer I was talking to recently told me that Kubota switched to aluminium housings on their BX machines, though I didn't have a magnet with me to confirm this.

• chris_va
    16 years ago

All...

I know that the pro/cons of the 2100 were not the subject of this post (appoligies to the OP), but I do appreciate everyone's input. It has been back to the dealer once when it had about 20 horus on it and the dealier said it was was funtioning correctly. I'm not impressed. I was thinking about getting a Jonny Bucket for it, but I am currently RE thinking that. Thanks again guys.

Chris

• chief9
    15 years ago

I have a John Deere 455 Dielsel and it is great. It cost a little more than the gas vesion initially but the reliablility and service makes up for it in the long run....

• chief9
    15 years ago

I have a John Deere 455 Deisel. It just quit while running and now I cannot get power to the gages and it will not crank. I have checked the brake switch and it is okay. The fuses are okay. I have power to the switch and when I turn the key I get power out of the switch. Any ideas?

• metal
    15 years ago

I would try starting a new post titled "JD 445 Diesel Starting Problems." That way your question doesn't get buried here as this thread is about reasons to buy/not buy a diesel.

• marvinlee
    15 years ago

Several things. 1. Kubota exaggerates the horsepower of its small diesel engines. Example: My Kubota ZD-21 is rated at 21 HP, manufacturer's estimate. The true horsepower is about 18, based on the actual engine data plate Kilowatt rating. Multiply Kw by 3.41 for horsepower conversion.

Regardless, I like the diesel--for me. Others should consider 1) You will need another fuel source, storage, and cans. 2) Initial cost tends to be much higher. 3) Noise varies, but is apt to be a bit higher, especially at idle. 4) A consumer garden tractor may well wear out long before the engine, thus negating any diesel engine longevity benefits. 5. Diesel fuel costs are now higher than gasoline, and the margin may increase as more diesel cars come on the market. 6. Equipment brand and model shopping choices narrow considerably if you insist on having a diesel engine. 7. Diesel engines weigh more, and that will create a heavier mower or tractor. 8. While repairs tend to be infrequent, they are often more costly and fewer service locations exist. Depending on location, you may have to drive further to get service. 9. Many consumers can do gasoline engine maintenance. Fewer are equipped to deal with diesel fuel injection equipment.

• wally2q
    15 years ago

Kubota is probably one of the only manufacturers that puts diesel engines in "lawn mowers"

Everyone associates diesel with heavy-duty, but in parts of the world outside of America (yes - it's true), diesel is "just a power-plant". Not heavy duty. Not anything - just a basic engine that happens to run on diesel. Most new cars in europe these days are manufactured with diesel engines in them.... and they are not your Super Duty Duellie truck... they are econo-box cars that will squeeze in 4 people and that's it... I once drove a Citroen C3 (diesel of course), going 155kph (95 mph) on a highway, and was getting 50mpg at that speed!!..... a toyota Matrix is a "monster" compared to these little cars.... same with tractors...

Kubota couples a diesel engine to a lawn-mower tranny.... that's why you can't pull stumps with it.... You want stump-pulling power?.... get a different Kubota, with the same engine, and a bigger tranny...

and as a courtesy, to correct Marvinlee's typo: 1 kilowatt = 1.34HP, not 3.41

• denno
    15 years ago

In my case, I would say I'm completely sold on my Kubota G2160. I have a Sears GT5000(25HP)also, which I bought almost 4 yrs ago. For each of the first three seasons, the transmission had to be replaced. (under warranty) Cutting the back half of my 2 acres requires pretty regular amount of climbing slopes. So that belt driven tranny just broke down. So I decided to go for the extra bucks for this Kubota, and what a difference! If I get into some heavier grass, I don't even get a difference in engine pitch. The same with the climbing slopes. It just keeps humming the same all the while. And it's actually quieter than my other tractor. I cut that back part of my property in a lot less time, so that's another plus in fuel economy, and less sun damage on the skin. My only complaint would be the bumpy ride in some parts of the property due to having the wheels pumped solid to carry the weight of the tractor.(1200+ lbs) I still use the other mower for the front part of my property, which is more level, and it has been doing that just fine.

• jlangton
    15 years ago

The G2160 is NOT a "consumer grade lawn mower". It's a cast-iron hydro axle/diesel powered grass cutting monster. It weighs almost 1200lbs compared to the ~700 lbs that my dad's gasoline powered JD lawn tractor weighs,and does 3x the work with 1/4 of the fuel consumption. I've got 81 hours of use on it now,and I've yet to find a field of grass that will bog it down,and I cannot stay in the seat long enough to run it out of fuel-it'll simply outlast me in a day's work-easily.
    The GR2100 that was referenced here earlier is more along the lines of a "consumer grade lawn mower"-it's a compromise in the heavy-framed diesel powered baby tractor and a stamped sheetmetal disposa-mower that you'd buy at the "big box stores".
    JL

• Robert Meyers
    9 years ago

I have just over 5 acres to mow at least once a week. None of it is flat, even have a fair size damn for our pond and some rough terrain. When I first bought the property 16 years ago I bought a gasoline powered 24 hp JD lawn tractor. I used about 14 gallons to cut the lawn and just didn't have the giddy up for the more steep and rough terrain. The next summer I bought a Kubota G2160 (21 hp) diesel. Up and down the terrain without missing a beat and now we only use 5/6 gallons of diesel (depends on the height of the grass). The smell is only really noticeable at start up and I keep under the overhang at the back of our barn. Everything I have is diesel - trucks, tractors, backhoe, mowers and genset except our weed whackers and chainsaws are gasoline (and if I could find them in diesel, they would be gone). The bad thing about gasoline is it's volatile (highly combustible) and unstable and you can't store much by law. Diesel is not volatile and have a 250 gallon above ground tank on site. Our mower and tractor are 15 years old and have never had a problem as long as they are well maintained.

• backinthesaddleagain
    9 years ago

I just got my first diesel 9 months ago.....a VW Passat TDI. I know I know...it's not a tractor...but it IS a diesel and there are some some parallels. Fuel economy is awesome...fuel range is awesome...low RPM torque/drivability is really nice. The only negative....when go to fill up at the pump, the diesel handle is often greasy, dirty and my hand ends up smelling of diesel. Otherwise, I love the diesel engine. Go diesel!

Sponsored
More Discussions