SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manu1_gw

help on planting rugosa in flower beds and keeping them contained

manu1
15 years ago

Hello:

My favorite plant as a child was this wonderful huge white rugosa bush growing on the side of the house. The smell in spring was intoxicating. The less pleasant memories was the fact that we could not walk without shoes on that side of the house because of the rugosa suckers in the grass.

I have just moved in a newly built home. There was no landscaping. We just finished establishing a lawn. I would like to plant some of the pavement series (white pavement) along part of the front wall in the prepared flower beds (beds are about 4-5 ft deep directly adjacent to the lawn with no separation of any kind.

My question is: is there anything I can do to prevent future rugosa spreading in the lawn?

Keep in mind I am a garden newbie.

I thought of maybe planting the rosebush in individual large pots and burry the pots right below gound level to contain any propagation but will that hurt/kill bush in long run? Or anyone had luck with some type of fencing? I thought about burying some type of vertical plastic sheet material from ground level to about a foot deep between beds and lawn to keep anything from spreading from one to the other would that help?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting