SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Craftsman safety switch troubleshooting

baymee
14 years ago

I went to a friend's house to look at a no-start condition. He told me that he adjusted his clutch rod all the way and then it wouldn't start anymore, so I looked at the clutch safety switch.

I never had to electrically troubleshoot the safety circuit before, so I really didn't know how it worked, but eventually we got it running.

I found a link to the Craftsman wiring on this site and I'd like to know a few things about the switches for the future.

The clutch/brake switch appears to be: On depression, the white contacts make and the black contacts break, allowing power to go the PTO in the OFF position and on to the solenoid.

The seat switch is more confusing. It appears to operate on the ground wire and in the unoccupied position, grounds out the ignition.

My question is: How does the seat switch in this diagram work? If the top contacts are made, seat unoccupied, the ignition is grounded out. The bottom contacts are broken in the unoccupied position which doesn't make sense to me. If they closed, the ignition would be grounded and if they stayed open, there would be no need for them.

Any help appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman 917.251490 wiring diagram

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions