SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anvilhead_gw

craftsman dyt problem - pto switch melted

anvilhead
12 years ago

I have a problem with my 2005 Craftsman DYT4000.

The other day while I was mowing, the PTO switch got hot enough to partially melt near one of the terminals. I shut the engine off until I figured out where the odor/smoke was coming from, and after the thing cooled down the engine wouldn't restart. No clicking or anything - nothing at all. (I've had no battery trouble since I bought it, although it's five years old now) I pushed the machine inside and put a charger on the battery, and after an hour or so it cranked over and ran normally.

I bought a replacement PTO switch, installed it, and today after mowing without incident for 15 minutes the same thing happened again - the switch heated up and melted the push/pull knob. I did notice the ammeter was jumping around a lot prior to that happening.

I went to a local small engine repair shop (he doesn't service Craftsman products) and ran the scenario by the owner. He seemed to think the culprit might be the voltage regulator, although he said it could be an intermittent ground.

I've ordered a new regulator, and hopefully it will be in before the grass is up to the windowsills.

Has anyone here experienced a problem like this on their tractor?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions