SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

try smother & mulch before planting out HOS

oliveoyl3
13 years ago

Great ideas everyone! Love, love, love GW to learn new things from others' experiences in various forums.

This is my 1st post here and after reading about using plastic to get rid of weeds thought I would write a post to encourage other gardeners with weeds to try something easier than pulling weeds before planting out their HOS (hunk of seedlings).

This smother & mulch method works so well we have NO MORE WEED pulling just little sprouts that to pinch & collect in a bucket for the chickens. I live in western WA where our weeds grow year round and some sprout from pieces so hoeing doesn't work. I began using smother & mulch to claim garden space along my gravel driveway adjacent to the underbrush & forest over 10 years ago once my kids began raising 4-H poultry that produced a manure/shavings mixture that had to go somewhere.

Suggest to cover black plastic with

-burlap bags

-mulch

-12x12 pavers

then whatever you decide for decorative or functional use of that space with containers or chairs. Chairs will just tear bare plastic and the weeds will escape through the gaps.

Or skip the black plastic and use my favorite smother...old carpet.

I've reused the same scraps of old carpet upside down instead of plastic for many years between

-permanent plantings

-under containers

-on paths

Sometimes I cover the upside down carpet deeply with

-compost

-partially composted manures & bedding

-mulch

for later planting of annual seeds (rambling pumpkin or squash vines, flowers or both).

Sometimes, just the mulch so it doesn't look different than the rest of the bed. After a year or so, that soil is ready for more permanent plantings.

Just try to remember where you've buried the carpet because when you change your garden plans... you're going to laugh or cry when

-you can't get your shovel to go deep

-see the backside of the carpet & think "who put this here? Oh, yah I did."

-dig to find an edge to pull up

-see the lovely soil ready for planting.

Also, large containers are less maintenance and can grow cascading plants to cover sides or surrounding ground.

If you're wanting to eventually plant in the ground...

-seeds will still be there

-watch for sprouts

-use mulch to cover smother or hand pick when small

-will be easier and easier as time goes on if you keep up

I've done it on various spots and though this method can be slow it does work! It's easy to be overwhelmed when you look at all those weeds, but don't be. You can do it!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert