SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Ideas for plants for street side, please.

A day inside with the a/c is a good chance to plan a small redo. In the photo below is the street side of a mixed bed, that faces East and is also open to the South, so there is full sun, but once the plants in the middle of the bed get tall enough, this side of the bed is in some shade late afternoon.

I enjoyed the mums and euphorbia last year, but I lost that euphorbia. I liked it enough to add more euphorbias, but glad I waited to see how they did a full season. I want something new to add to go with the mums. Right now I have a lot of messy plants that I want to pull out. No more alyssum. No more Dianthus (not showing in the photo) I have some Callirhoe that is causing problems. A patch of California poppies was a nice change of pace outside the photo on the left side, but three years and I'm seeing that it is out of bloom right now, with a lot of seed pods that I don't enjoy looking at and it allows too many weeds to come up through them. So they're out.

That leaves just the mums, which should be larger this year. I would really like to either have a mix of spring blooming that look great thru the fall, like the Euphorbia did, or more Fall bloomers to go with the mums, maybe?
That's as far as I've thought and just looking for a few ideas of plants that work street side. I do have to be concerned with salt and snow cover too.

I would try adding some dwarf shrubs, but it gets a lot of snow plowed up on it there.

Comments (7)