SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbreits

Which Husqvarna is right for me?

jbreits
15 years ago

I need to buy my first lawn tractor, and based on budget, my perceived needs, and local availability, I have been strongly considering a Husqvarna. But I need some others' opinions on what I need.

So here's my needs:

- Mow 1-2 acres (right now about 1, but probably expanding to about 2).

- Very few obstacles.

- Flat-ish in front and back. Gentle slope on sides.

- One large hill in the back that I would like to be able to mow for the next couple years until we terrace it. I measured it today and I came up with roughly 13 degree (24%) slope at its steepest, but it is much shallower at the base.

- Want to be able to use a pull behind core aerator twice a year to help the compacted clay soil.

- Would like to be able to use a pull behind cart to haul smallish loads of firewood, gravel, river rock, etc.

- Possibly in the future, use it for blowing/plowing snow. Not sure on that one yet.

My budget is around $2000, but I don't want to spend more than I need to.

There's no local Husqvarna dealerships, but the big box stores here have them.

Now then, I've been looking at these two models at the local store: YTH2348 (23HP), and LGT2654 (26HP).

My first question is regarding the classification of these tractors. The YTH2348 is a Yard Tractor which I assume is the same class as (or maybe slightly more powerful than) a Lawn Tractor. This means it can't really be used for ground-engaging attachments right? Does an aerator count as ground engaging? I ask because I have heard of people using aerators with 12HP tractors.

The LGT654 is a Garden Tractor so it can accept ground-engaging attachments, right? (I haven't seen proof of this on their website yet, but everyone I talk to says yes).

How much tractor do you think I need for the needs above?

And because I live in the heart of Deere country, I've also slightly considered the JD LA-145 and maybe the LA-165, but they seem like they might be a bit more expensive.

Any advice?

Thanks,

JBreits

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions