SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasonnb

Problem with Briggs 25hp ELS

jasonnb
14 years ago

I have a Deere LA155c with a 25hp Briggs 25hp ELS Twin. Mower had 67 hours over two seasons when the problems started. I was mowing the yard and the engine started surging. Before I could get it back to the garage, it died. I looked it over and noticed the fuel filter was empty. I disconnected the line between tfilter and pump, and teh filter immediately filled. I put the hose back on and the mower ran normally for 15-20 minutes, then repeated. I replaced the filter and it did the same. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the carb saying it must have trash in it. Brought it home, mowed the lawn once, seemed ok. Mowed teh next week, got half way through my 1 acre yard and it started what I would guess is a lean miss with an occasional popping. A little choke would help, but not "fix". Happens worse at half throttle without the blades on. Took it back to the dealer. They replaced the carb again. Brought it home. Mowed last week, all was ok until I was driving back to the shed. Sounded like it was popping/missing again. Got it out tonight and half way through the yard and its back to a bad "lean" miss. Took it back to the shed. Sitting still, if I go to half throttle, it has a muffled popping/miss. If I go to half choke, engine speed increases very noticably and it smooths out quite a bit.

I have checked from the filter to the tank and the line is clear. The fuel filter has had ~5 gallons put through it since replacement. I have also made sure the fuel is fresh and from a clean gas container. Seems the problem is fuel related, but the only part besides the lines not replaced is the pump. The tube from the valve cover to the carb is visibly cracked, but i can't tell that there is any leakage going on. I pulled the line from the pump to the carb and turned the motor over, fuel pulsed out. I'm calling the dealer again tomorrow, but am trying to get an idea what is going on. After 2 new crabs in 3 weeks, I think we can rule out a carb issue? Any suggestions? Motor now has 71 hours. This is nuts.

Comments (9)