SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monte_gw

Alternative WS Container Options

Monte
14 years ago

Alternative WS Container Options

Milk jugs and 2 liters are great and probably the easiest to acquire but there are lots of other options.

Below are a few images of other things that can be used and brief descriptions of that steps you need to take to prepare them.
JUICE BOTTLES

Usually harder plastics so care must be used when cutting them open. I like the hinge option for these. To secure I use my "double looped yarn over the neck" trick but some tape will work fine also.

In these pics you can also see a little mini blind tab "device" I came up with to prop the container open later in the season. Others have used clothespins to good effect for this purpose.

{{gwi:348629}}

{{gwi:348631}}

{{gwi:348632}}

ROTTISERIE CHICKEN CONTAINER

The Costco Chicken, I love it, moist, flavorful and fully cooked perfection for $6 and I donÂt need to dirty a pan.

BONUS-You get a great WS container in the bargain.

Now the bottom (tray portion) is kind of shallow so I "flipped the script" and turn it over.

The top already has drainage due to the steam vents. I simply slice thru the wall of the bottom tray with a sharp knife or scissors and make it into a "holding frame" to secure a sheet of plastic film. Think embroidery hoop.

In this case I used some trash bag liner.

A few pokes with a paring knife to vent and done.

{{gwi:348634}}

{{gwi:348636}}

{{gwi:348638}}

BABY WIPES BOX

Very similar to chicken tray. Just cut a window in the lid and capture some plastic sheeting. Poke holes. Done

{{gwi:348640}}

{{gwi:348643}}

ICE CREAM CONTAINER

This one may be harder to find. I mean who likes ice cream right? But if you can locate these rarities you do as above. Same but different.

{{gwi:348646}}

{{gwi:348648}}

LARGE PRETZEL TYPE CONTAINERS

Now it may be a little hard to contemplate cutting up these as they do have many other uses but be strong.

Very much like 2 literÂs. Bisect them into 2 parts, drain holes, vents. Here since the lid is so large I just do some holes. The lid can be taken off later in the season as more venting is needed.

{{gwi:348650}}

{{gwi:348652}}

Have Fun

Monte

Comments (13)

Sponsored