SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catankgirl

Ready to start in zone 9 - Help if you don't die of envy?

catankgirl
16 years ago

I'm very excited about WSing and I just received an order of seeds from Park Seed and saved all my plastic produce containers all year and re-read the FAQs and I'm ready to go, but now I'm concerned this is not going to work for me. Anyone with warmer climate advice would be great. I'm so pleased to have such nice weather (I can see fuscia and coneflower still with color from my back door,) but it also has it's challenges.

Firstly, I'm worried my seeds are going to fry. And I'm going to have to water them all the time. I guess there is nothing I can do about this except try and keep checking on them, huh?

Secondly, I don't think I have deep enough containers. I saved all those plastic containers you get strawberries in with tops that swings off. I thought it would be perfect because they already have holes in the tops and bottom. Have these worked for anyone else?

Thirdly, now after reading others in warmer climates I'm worried if it does work things are going to germinate right away and not wait until spring! What do I do in this case? Plant right away, or wait a few months?

I'm wondering now if it just doesn't make more sense to direct-sow in my area. The problem is my soil is awful and it's worked better for me to just plant established plants in it and give it compost often. The idea of improving the soil first before even putting seeds down directly and just waiting to see if it works is a bit daunting for me. ;) Also, I have toddlers and they seem to repect actual plants more than areas I'm waiting for seeds to grow. I caught my son digging in the dirt in a container I had planted seeds in. Doh.

Ok, I guess I'm saying, I want to try WSing for all the benefits and I'm ready to start, but now I'm nervous it's not going to work for me, so any advice would be great. Here is a list of the seeds I ordered from Park Seed as well if anyone is curious. Thanks so much in advance!!!

1. ACHILLEA CERISE QUEEN (0020) Qty : 1

2. CAMPANULA COMPLETE MIX (BELLFLOWER) (0407) Qty : 1

3. COREOPSIS TINCTORIA (0628) Qty : 1

4. SNAPDRAGON BLACK PRINCE (0098) Qty : 1

5. DELPHINIUM SUMMER BLUES (3093) Qty : 1

6. DIANTHUS BARBATUS TUXEDO BLACK (0729) Qty : 1

7. PENSTEMON BARBATUS RONDO MIX (1544) Qty : 1

8. HEATHER (CALLUNA VULGARIS) (0804) Qty : 1

9. PENSTEMON DIGITALIS MYSTICA (4578) Qty : 1

10. SALVIA SILVER WHITE (1828) Qty : 1

11. TITHONIA GOLDFINGER (2025) Qty : 1

12. LAGURUS OVATUS BUNNY TAILS (1089) Qty : 1