SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twiztidpod

Briggs and Stratton coughs and chokes at full throttle

14 years ago

I am working on a Murray Mower with a 14 hp Briggs and Stratton model #287707. This Engine was running great, Idling nice, taking the fuel good, no problems the last time I used it. When I went out a few day's ago it would not turn over, While looking it over for possible problems I noticed that the carburetor was wet with fuel. I removed the air breather and could see that the carb was filled with gas. I removed the carburetor and disassembled it to see if the float was working correctly, I cleaned it while I had it apart. I then pulled the spark plug and the cylinder was also full of fuel, as was the engine oil. I drained all of the fuel out of the cylinder and engine and let it sit for awhile to "air out". I then put in a new spark plug and engine oil. (also added an inline fuel shut-off valve) Now when I start it, it idles fine, but when you give it full throttle it acts like it is getting too much, or not enough fuel and seems to choke itself out,it will stay running, but it's pretty rough. also if you try to drive it, it gets worse under the load. The carburetor does not have any adjustment that I am aware of that I could have turned while cleaning. I am lost on this one. I need some help guy's. Thank you in advance.

Comments (2)