SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asand211

Briggs & Stratton Help...backfiring and won't start

asand211
12 years ago

I have a Snapper Comet with a 10 Hp Briggs(28A707-0122-02) that was smoking heavily before it stopped running. Pulled the head and found that the cylinder has slight scarring and the valves were caked with soot and carbon as was the spark plug. Found that damaged rings were the cause. I replaced the rings and honed the cylinder, cleaned the valves and valve seats, and then reassembled making sure that I aligned the dots on the cam and crank gears.

When I put everything back together and I try to start it the engine gives a slight sputter as if trying to start with the throttle set to half way and if the throttle is set to choke the engine backfires but does not start.

I should add that I cleaned the carburetor thoroughly and I replaced the fuel line and fuel filter. I rebuilt a similar engine (Briggs 12hp) a couple of months ago and it started easily so I'm not sure what I have done wrong on this one. I am now second guessing myself and wondering about the timing. I'm hoping that some of the real mechanics here will direct this novice in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

Comments (21)

Sponsored