SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

New to composting, got some Q's

Joe1980
12 years ago

Hi everyone. I just built a make shift compost pile/bin today, with nothing more than some galvanized pipe pounded into the ground, and chicken wire fencing I had. Anyways, my intent is to make compost to till into my veggie garden, which I built last weekend, with intentions to start next spring. Anyway, I intend to mulch up my leaves in fall and add them to the pile. I also intend to toss all of my perennials that get chopped down in fall into the pile. Those will be the two main ingredients, but I have some questions on tossing other things in throughout the rest of the year. For example, I pull weeds throughout the summer, so would it be ok to drop them into the pile, so long as there are NO seeds and NO roots and/or root pieces?? I also am constantly pulling up raspberry brambles from the areas that I don't want them, so would I beable to compost them as well, so long as no roots go in? I'd like to build up as much compost as I can, so I hate to not utilize everything I can. Thanks!

Joe

Comments (24)