a ws'ers dream come true! ~pic heavy!!

jodie74
12 years ago

If you've never experienced the joy

of accomplishing more than you can imagine,

plant a garden.

quote / saying by Robert Brault

Here's my gardening story......

In spring of 2010 I tried my hand at growing indoors, under lights. Had minimal success! I'm a very busy mom of 4 kids & I need things to thrive under neglect as I tend to the needs of my family. That can't happen with indoor plants! :)

Later that spring/summer I stumbled upon the winter sowing concept & THIS website. And I couldn't believe what I was reading! They made it seem so easy & yet got INCREDIBLE results! Seemed to good to be true!!! I had to take the leap of faith & give this a try......

I immediately jumped in & participated in EVERY seed trade that I could & started collecting milk jugs. We alone go through 3-4 a week & I also recruited some other families to save them for me. That fall I stumbled upon Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix at Sams Club on clearance for around $5 BAG!!! I bought 20 BAGS!!!!

I COULD NOT WAIT FOR DEC 21!!!! I made sure all my Christmas duties were complete so I could get started! LOL And I spent my long winter days winter sowing seeds.......

{{gwi:346850}}

{{gwi:346851}}

{{gwi:346852}}

{{gwi:346854}}

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap,

but by the seeds that you plant.

garden quote / saying by Robert Louis Stevenson

AND THEN IT FINALLY HAPPENED.... MY FIRST SPROUTS!!!!

{{gwi:346856}}

{{gwi:346858}}

{{gwi:346861}}

THIS TRIGGERED THE GREEN TIDAL WAVE......

{{gwi:346863}}

{{gwi:346865}}

{{gwi:346866}}

{{gwi:346867}}

{{gwi:346868}}

Now I needed to create the beds to put all my new babies. My 14 year son was wanting to go on a class field trip and the cost was $400!!! My husband told him he needed to earn that money so the deal was on spring break he was to help me wheelbarrow dirt (we bought a "planter mix" by the truckload for cheap!) I jokingly told him on his last day of school that when he got home a pile of dirt would be there with his name ALL OVER IT!!!

And it was.... :P

{{gwi:346869}}

You can't tell by this pic but that is a FULL SHEET of poster board on about 8 cu yards of dirt!!!

Needless to say he was awesome!!! He worked incredibly hard by my side and helped me build my new flower beds....

The highest reward for man’s toil

is not what he gets for it,

but what he becomes by it.

gardening quote / saying by John Ruskin

{{gwi:346870}}

{{gwi:346871}}

{{gwi:346872}}

{{gwi:346873}}

{{gwi:346874}}

{{gwi:346875}}

{{gwi:346876}}

{{gwi:346877}}

I basically framed my lot with scalloped edged flower beds. I later discovered the wavy edges are NOT the easiest things to mow...... :(

There are no gardening mistakes,

only experiments.

gardening quote / saying by Janet Kilburn Phillips

And the planting out began. I worked for a couple of hours every day planting out.

Gardening requires lots of water...

most of it in the form of perspiration.

gardening quote / saying by Lou Erickson

And here's the end result.......

{{gwi:346878}}

{{gwi:346879}}

{{gwi:346881}}

{{gwi:346883}}

*** a WONDERFUL gift from my husband in this pic^^^... MY FOUNTAIN!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

{{gwi:346884}}

{{gwi:346885}}

My 2 FAVORITE spots to enjoy a lazy, hot summer day....

{{gwi:346886}}

{{gwi:346888}}

My ONLY regret is that I didn't take more pics! By July/Aug we felt strongly that we were going to be moving so I had to shift my gears INSIDE on prepping the house to sell. (that killed me to be inside so much and NOT in my garden!!!) My heart was CRUSHED as I thought I was losing my garden!! All that work-GONE!!! My husband tried to help by calling it my "practice garden" but that didn't help! Nice try honey. :) Well, the week before Christmas we got the news that the transfer would NOT be happening! Yes, it took my husbands company ALL THAT TIME!! GRRRRR!!!!

You can imagine my JOY on hearing the news!!!! I'll get to see my babies grow big after all!!!!

A garden is never so good

as it will be next year.

garden quote / saying by Thomas Cooper

In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.

The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers,

and the dreams are as beautiful.

gardening quote / saying by Abram L. Urba

My perennial babies were little last year with not much of a showing but I'm sure more will bloom next summer & the 3rd summer-Well, I'm giddy with anticipation for that summer. :P

One of the most delightful things about a garden

is the anticipation it provides.

quote / saying by W.E. Johns,

The Passing Show

Sorry this is so long but I can't say it enough...

To the WONDERFUL, AWESOME, HELPFUL, GIVING, TRUSTWORTHY, WARM HEARTED, INTELLIGENT, CREATIVE, SINCERE, FUNNY, PATIENT, AND ALL AROUND BEST PEOPLE YOU'LL EVER MEET ON THE WEB.....

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting