SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cvette

New Tractor Purchase - Thinking about Snapper

cvette
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I just found this forum and what a great wealth of information it is. Everyone here seems really passionate about tractors.

When my wife and I purchased our first home with 1 acre of lawn the previous home-owner gave me his Toro 12-32" RER for almost nothing. I'm guessing it's a late 80s model. It has run admirably for me for 6 years but it is finicky and sometimes refuses to start - I think it might be one of the three safety switches that might be causing the problem. I've given it tune-ups but am now reluctant to put anymore money into it. I might just let it give out (if that ever happens) and I admit I'm slightly excited about making a big purchase on a new "toy".

So I started researching and looking into what I would get if the Toro failed. Wow, there is a lot to consider. I would only be mowing 1 acre and towing a 40" aerator. The Toro has trouble towing the aerator if there is any slight hill involved. Originally I budgeted $1500 but quickly found that buys very little these days. I think I can swing $2000 but $2500 would be pushing it. I want something that will last and will pay a little more for it.

I looked at the following:

- Husqvarna and Craftsman didn't have anything that interested me and I wonder about Craftsman quality these days.

- Kubota T1570 and T1670 looked possible but I didn't like the way they fit me.

- JD LA100 series looked decent for the $$$ but I'm just not sure how solid it is. Turning radius is just OK and I wonder about quality when I read the posts here about the LA100 series.

- Toro's small riders are now MTD built and I am staying away.

- I strongly considered the Cub LT1042 or LT1045. For the price ($1700) it appears to have great features and is solidly built - not sure about longevity. It was my top runner until I found the Simplicity Regent / Snapper LT200 series.

The Regent has some great features but I'm not sold on the lawn rollers (more chance to spread lawn diseases) and the infinite cut height (why do I need that? seems more of a pain).

I think I'm going with the Snapper LT2042 (20 HP, 42" cut) and 4 gauge wheels. List is $2350 and the local dealer has one on the floor for $2050. I'm hoping he'll go lower if I buy at the end of the year. The twin bagger is $425?!? That's more than 1/5 the entire tractor price and it's just plastic, sheesh!

Please let me know if I am missing a deciding factor or if my decision making seems sound. There's nothing I can find in the 15HP, 38" cut range unless I get a Snapper RER and they are as expensive as a tractor.

I'm worried a lawn tractor of this size is a step up for me and may not be needed. The Snapper has a great 14" turning radius but I'm afraid I'll lose some manueverability. Compared to my Toro 12-32, all of these 38"-42" cut tractors are b-i-g.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to get into the forum action and ensure I'm considering everything before I purchase (IF I purchase...still need to rationalize that).

Thanks, Chris

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH