SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Some peony talk

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

I had these on my mind yesterday and thought of a few things I've always wondered about.

First and foremost, aren't these just the most beautiful flowers on earth? I simply go nuts when they bloom and swear to plant a whole bunch more every year. I don't of course, since my practical side takes over at some point. My number of plants seems to hold at 17. I really do need a Festiva Maxima though.

Prevailing wisdom says to grow these in full sun. I've always found they do just fine with less. Some of my oldest plants are on the East side of my house with morning sun only. Until last week, they were also partially shaded by a huge Elm. It got the bug and now is gone. Anyway, I've always been totally satisfied with the performance of these plants.

Do you ever divide yours? In some of the reading I was doing yesterday, it stated these should be divided when the center of the plants starts to look bare. Mine still look great after more than 15 years in the ground.

Why don't really old plants keep spreading (get wider) each year? I've noticed this phenomenon with other plants too. They seem to reach a certain size and then just quit expanding. One would expect a 50 year old peony to be huge, but I've never seen one that is all that huge and I've seen some really old plants.

That's it I think.

Kevin

Comments (32)