SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clasticman

B&S loss of power -- spewing scorched oil

clasticman
15 years ago

I have been dealing with valve readjustment on my Craftsman, Briggs 18.5 Intek OHV (I believe the model is the 31000 series) for a couple of years now. I continually need to readjust after each time I mow even though i do use thread lock. after my latest round of valve adventure this weekend, everything was looking great. The valves were adjusted to 0.004 for intake and 0.01 for the exhaust (yes, the prescribed gap is .005-.007; I did this per suggestion of another expert online). This was working very well for about three hours. Then, while mowing, I suddenly had a sputtering engine as if I was out of fuel. I shut it down and starting checking eveything. I had gas, but added some more for good measure. Checked the oil and uh-oh. I had very little oil and it was looking pretty scorched -- it had plenty prior to mowing. So, I pulled the spark plug which was looking pretty blackened and cleaned it the best i could. Checked the air filter -- it was ok. I added the proper amount of oil. I could get the engine started but it would never come up to full power. While in this low rpm state I looked at the exhaust and there is scorched liquid (I assume oil) being expelled.

Sorry for the book I have written, but I am desparate for a place to start, and I would prefer to not buy another mower.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions