SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

How to properly use Japanese Beetle traps?

14 years ago

I don't know what happened. Last year I had a few Japanese Beetles, barely any. Now I am inundated. I shouldn't be surprised, one of our neighbors has major grub issues. The little nastie have completely defoliated 3 rose bushes (will they die?), and the two double pink knock-outs have sad looking flowers as well. I don't want to kill bees if at all possible. I work a lot of long days, so the collection (soapy water, etc.) route doesn't work for me, I can only get out there 1-2 days a week. I saw a house up the street with traps and wondered about those, but a lot of people seem to think they attract them to your yard? I have a good amount of land, almost 4 acres. Would they work if I put the traps far away from the gardens (which are near the house mostly), attracting them before they reach me from the neighbors? I don't think they are coming from my yard because we just put in a lawn last fall, so the soil where they would have laid their eggs last years is now gone or under many, many inches of loam.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I now remember why my mother gave up on roses!

Comments (7)