SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ns_gardener

Kohler engine hard re-starting

ns_gardener
15 years ago

Hi, I know someone here must have an idea what to check next. I picked up a 1958 Bolens Deluxe Ride-A-Matic with a Kohler K160 6.5hp engine. The electric start has had the belt removed although the guy who had it said that with a battery attached, the starter does spin. It took a while to get the hang of it ( choke / throttle / compression ) but with the rope start it fires up easily and runs really nice - I love the sound of this engine! It's responsive to throttle and it shifts well. Recent theory is that air-cooled engines are supposed to be run at fast throttle so they can cool properly. Is this true of this engine? As it idles so chug, chug, chug nicely, it's tempting to not race it. However, after running awhile and it's warmed up, if I shut it off it's really hard to start - five minutes or so and sometimes it's a push back into the shed to sit. I have pulled the plug and it's clean and and dry and there is spark and the float is working and the gas is fresh. I will put a filter in-line soon but I don't think junk in the gas is doing it. I opened the gas cap a few times to check supply so I don't think it's a vacuum problem. Is there a coil issue do you think? Where is the coil? Kohler doesn't have a .pdf manual of this specific engine. Does anyone have a service manual for this engine? Any ideas?

Chris

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions