SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

Mislabeled Rose from HD/Mea, Any ideas?

merlcat
10 years ago

Hi everyone!
I purchased my first mislabeled rose this season. I bought this as a bare root at Home Depot along with four others, two of which are so far correct in name. It was a bodybag from Mea nursery.

This was supposed to be Climbing America, and I was looking forward to red-coral blooms.
Instead I was surprised by these pink ones.

{{gwi:285675}}

{{gwi:285676}}

{{gwi:285677}}

{{gwi:285678}}

{{gwi:285679}}

{{gwi:285680}}

{{gwi:285681}}

This rose has what I would describe as long pointed, slender buds, and opens flat in a semi-double(?), 15-petal bloom. The blooms look hot pink sometimes, sometimes seem lighter. I am not sure what to call this pink in rose speak, actually. Pink? Lol!

The canes were far more slender that the other bare roots I got, which were hybrid teas. It could actually be a climber, I suppose, but I am just not sure. Not particularly thorny, small thorns wide spaced on this young bush so far.

I remember several of the other bare roots they were offering, but can't recall if there was anything that would fit this description. Maybe someone picked up something like this in a different zone? I looked on their website to see if I could ID it against anything else they are offering, but still could not really come up with anything. I know it is hard to id from just the first blooms, but I am hoping that someone could help me match my mystery rose against something they may have purchase from the big box/Mea this season that resembles what I have. I know there were loads of knockouts in bodybags at the HD. I don't know the pink knockout well, but I think it has some red to the canes or leaves, which this does not seem to have. I did write to Mea on Memorial day weekend, but have not heard back.

At first I was underwhelmed with this flower, but it is pretty before it is completely open, so it is growing on me a little. I was getting excited for Climbing America, I guess, which this is not.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: unknown HD/Mea Pink photobucket album

Comments (4)