SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needmorerose_va_zone8

Any idea which mislabeled Austin rose is this?

needmorerose_va_zone8
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Just found this at Lowe’s this evening. A bunch of Imogen and a few Tess. This one has both tags labeled as “Tess” but obviously not. Any idea what it might be? It has medium to strong scent.

Comments (45)

• Hoang Ton (Zone 8B, Tallahassee FL)
    4 years ago

It looks like mary rose

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Hoang Ton (Zone 8B, Tallahassee FL)
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The stems are quite upright and straight, makes me think it’s a pink climber of DA?

• Related Discussions

Is this Austin's The Countryman, or a mislabel?

Q

Comments (3)
    Good advice by Donna. I don't grow this one either, but on HMF, the pics by Rosenschule Ruf, a German nursery, also look like a match. And so do the leaves on most HMF pics. As to Hortico, I've had a ton of problems with the quality of their plants and delayed and random shipping (as in June (!) to NC where I lived), but I've never received a mislabeled rose from them, fwiw. Feed it well and let it grow and see what it does! Andrea
    ...See More

Mislabeled Rose from HD/Mea, Any ideas?

Q

Comments (4)
    She could be described at tall and narrow so far, based on how she looked when I bought her and how she is growing. Sort of slender canes. So far this rose has not as many petals as Bewitched has listed on HMF. Good suggestion, pat_bamaZ7. I'll keep it on the list as possible and watch her to see if she grows into herself and produces more petals. And, I'll check her canes to see if they are indeed crooked. I can see from the picture how you could suggest this rose from that photo, for sure. The only pink that Mea has on their web page for dormant roses are pink peace and Queen Elizabeth. I don't think it is either of those, though. Any other suggestions? :)
    ...See More

Any idea of which rose this might be?

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks so much for your suggestions everyone. Jeri, I have not yet rooted cuttings, but I think it is time for me to try it out! Thanks for the link. I went to the Antique Rose Farm in Snohomish today, and the Heritage Roses NW Society folks (who had a display there this weekend) looked at the pictures and also suggested Paul Ricault. Whatever it is, I am so curious about it that I think I need to try and propagate it!
    ...See More

What (mislabeled) Austin is this?

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm not sure. It could still be Tamora. But just to add some insight from my experiences; I've had Austin blooms that don't look like they should on brand new plants. They usually need a few flushes or more than a season to settle in and really bloom. Teasing georgia was very peachy for the first few flushes & had half of the petals. By the end of it's first season it looked closer to the way it should. I thought it was a mislabeled rose. This has happened on a few of mine. The other thing to consider is the weather. We have had roller coaster temps. It went from freezing, to full on heatwave within 2 weeks. Not sure how your weather has been, but that can really cause blooms to grow differently.
    ...See More
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago
    I thought Mary based on colour, but Gertrude is much taller upright in growth. The biggest problem is the number of pink Austin's out there. And blooms on potted new plants usually are not formed or coloured accurately. I find that it takes a few flushes after planting to really see it's true identity.
    needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

The new growth on my Gertrude Jekyll is redder than what I am seeing on this plant. See pics below:

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • altorama Ray
    4 years ago

I have Mary Rose, here are some pictures. The foliage is new and gets darker with age.

In my garden the fragrance is strong.

The edges of the leaves are serrated,and they are pointed, while the foliage of Gertrude is more round.

My Mary Rose has 5 leaflets while yours has 7.

The thorns on my rose also point downward.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked altorama Ray
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the photos. From what I can see, both roses in KS and Altorama’s photos showed red leaf stems but the ones in my photo are all green stems. And Altorama’s Mary Rose also has red (serrated) leaf edges. Are these evidence good enough to rule out Mary and Gertrude? The hard part is Austin has so many pink roses... and they also sell some other roses and OGRs.

• altorama Ray
    4 years ago

I am not sure regarding the red stems, since my rose only just leafed out in the past couple of weeks. Your plant looks a little further along. Any red stems may have turned green, but I am not sure. We will both have to observe the roses for a bit more.

One thing I have found is that bloom form and color are not always a reliable way to ID roses since they can be affected by weather, rose health, age etc. Foliage, bud form, etc are more helpful.

I am inclined to rule out Gertrude based on the shape of the leaflets.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Based on the bloom form & straight, upright canes I think it could be Tess - if the bud developed & opened on the truck or in another dark location, it could have affected the color.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yesterday I went back to the store and took more photos (in the rainstorm while Tornadoes were hitting south of where I was at LOL). In order to collect more evidence (keep this guessing going haha) and eventually find out what it is, I ended up taking it home. It does have a strong myrrh fragrance. I also saw Mary Rose available in another store just now, the buds are much darker pink. The photos of Mary Rose are in the next post

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the Mary Rose photos I took at another store today.

4 years ago

A myrrh fragrance completely rules out Gert -- she has a classic "old rose" damask type scent.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

Bishop's Castle...??

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cyndita, I agree with you that the lighting and transportation etc condition can greatly affect the color, size and scent of the blooms. However I took a look at my two Tess, their very rounded leaves made me think the pink rose is probably not Tess.

Here is a pic of my Tess. Can you see the round leaves?

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Bishops Castle, hmmm... how is its smell like Desertgarden? I’ve never seen one in person.
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I bought my Tess as a NOID Lowe's reject in 2016. They had gobs of them and the flower for varied incredibly from large to almost daisy-like. However, the colour has never varied much except to get brighter in the sunlight. None of the plants were light pink. Yours reminds me of my NOID light pink Austin, but she has a "classic" rose scent, whereas that of Tess is quite unique. I don't know if it's Myrrh. I'Il try and observe when I get home a bit later if I beat the rain. If not I'll look at some old pics.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • altorama Ray
    4 years ago

The pictures of Mary you just posted look MUCH darker than mine.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

I vote for The Mayflower....I have a young one and the blooms look like that and the canes have the same upright growth

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

Bishop's Castle is fragrant zzz, but I do not have the sense of smell to tell you what kind of fragrance it is. Point of reference, Gertrude Jekyll, to my nose is reminiscent of baby powder...

Noseometer has a great sense of smell, and he grows Bishops Castle too. Maybe he will see this thread. I grow Mary Rose and many Austins. Yours more so reminds me of Bishops Castle.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

HMF says the Mayflower is nearly thornless. Is that true?

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Desertgarden, my reference of myrrh scent is Bolero. The mystery pink rose smells just like Bolero.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Altorama, I noticed that. I have never raised Mary Rose so I am not sure if darker or lighter a norm. I came across it once about a month ago when I was visiting a rose garden overseas, the Mary Rose there is neither dark as my photo or light as yours; it’s the pink in between...

There were 6 pots of Mary Rose at the store today. All of them are the darker pink.

4 years ago

There's a frill to the blooms and something about the petal edges that I have seen on the Mayflower that I do not see on the image. Color similarity is good. I think as the rose bush grows and re-blooms, it may be easier to determine exactly which rose it is...

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    4 years ago

I vote for Mayflower also.

I don't remember how thorny she was or was not, but she was quite BS resistant. Bloom was kinda of average "pretty" but nothing to turn heads and make people rave. Re-bloom wasn't very good. One virtue she had--she was always the first rose to bloom in my garden. (We parted ways some time ago, so I'm describing from memory here.)

Gertrude has wonderful blooms, but is very thorny--downright vicious thorns! She also isn't very BS resistant.

Make sure you take pics all summer of your mystery rose--so we can have fun guessing who she is! : )

Kate

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
    4 years ago

Check the leaves too. From what I can see it is inconclusive, however, Bishop's Castle has dark, more rounded leaves whereas that of the Mayflower can be almost long and kind of pointy.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

zz - I see what you mean about the leaves, they do look different. And, going back in a storm to collect more evidence & buy the plant is some serious rose dedication! Keep us posted on how it turns out!

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I do incline to The Mayflower now after seeing your votes and looking up description and photos of David Austin. It did say in one of his books that Mayflower is probably the earliest bloomer among all. The bloom form is so very similar to the photos I can find online. This little rose still in its tiny pot, just off the shelf after long distance of transportation, I'm sure it’s stressed so the blooms don’t reflect the true form. Only after a few more flushes we’ll be able to tell for sure. I’ll certainly keep you all posted.

Here is is another one I need help to identify. There were two “heritage” available at the store, one has pink blooms (looks correct) but the other one has soft yellow deeper cup blooms. I brought both home because I have always wanted Heritage. My question is, can Heritage appear to be soft yellow when under stress or very young? Or it’s another mislabeled rose? If so, what do you think it is?

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

I don’t grow Heritage myself, but I think it’s way too yellow to be Heritage. Even with the stress of shipping, I’d expect something at least somewhat pink. Could it be Charles Darwin? Lisa

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Lisa Adams
  • Dave5bWY
    4 years ago

I would guess the yellow rose is Charlotte. I believe the first pink one is Gertrude Jekyll. The foliage, prickles, and flower (deeper pink center) are correct but the fragrance you describe is not. Myrrh, in rose terms, smells like anise - sometimes sharper (Scepter’d Isle) and sometimes sweeter (like black licorice - Tamora has this scent). GJ has a wonderful old rose scent.

I agree that the rose labeled as Mary Rose is also labeled incorrectly. Here is Mary Rose.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Dave5bWY
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lisa, the yellow tone of the bloom is very muted pale yellow. It is much paler than the Charlotte I have. Charles Darwin has more vivid yellow than Charlotte?

More photos from today of the mystery yellow rose:

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dave, although I incline to Mayflower for the pink rose, one thing that keeps me from totally convinced is the growth habit - very upright and tendency of long branches - in some ways it shouts a climber to me.

I have 3 Charlotte in my garden for two years now. Their bloom form is quite different than the mystery yellow rose, and color wise, more saturated yellow. The Charlotte‘s buds also have orange stripes but this mystery yellow doesn’t.

Charlottes bud

Mystery yellows bud

4 years ago

I think Charles Darwin is a good guess, but you'll have to wait to see how the blooms develop. Ultimately they get even fuller than what your young plant is showing (see above). This rose has extremely variable color -- in this picture it is almost peachy, but it can also be the yellow that you see in pics from David Austin, mustard yellow, or a parchment color. Faded yellow is pretty characteristic of this rose -- the fading actually causes some people to dislike it, but I think it is beautiful. Mine is in a container, so not a great example of what to expect from it when grown well. It is fragrant, but mine is very fragrant at some times and not fragrant at others (variable, like the color).

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    4 years ago

Zz - the one labeled ‘Mary Rose’ looks like Princess Anne. The bloom (color and shape), buds and leaves look like a match. Are the canes thorny?

Jo

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jo, the canes are very thorny. I am sorry it seemed I caused you confusions. The mystery rose we are having trouble figuring out here are the medium pink rose in the first few photos and the pale yellow rose. The Mary Rose photos are for comparison, not mislabeled.

Here are some more photos I took this morning

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

KS, I agree Charles Darwin is a very good guess. Yours is so very lovely! I looked up some photos on instagram and feel that I really like the fading character of this rose. The faded yellow looks almost like flax or linen color, so unique and elegant.

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    4 years ago

Ah, okay. I thought you’d purchased the one labeled Mary Rose, too. But it is incorrectly labeled - it’s not Mary Rose :-)

I feel like I know your pink but it’s eluding me. It’s aggravating!

Jo

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks HelloBlondie. The only bloom photo I took was a second-third day bloom - it’s got that faded yellow color. There are three young buds on the bush now and once they opened up I’ll be able to see the color of a first day bloom (supposed to be more saturated yellow) in order to further confirm Charles Darwin ;)

• altorama Ray
    4 years ago

Here is a picture of Graham Thomas, a pretty saturated yellow. I do not remember if the blooms faded or not.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Altorama. The bloom form looks quite similar, does it? Is Charles darwin supposed to have higher petal count?

• altorama Ray
    4 years ago

I am not sure but just found a picture showing that Graham Thomas does indeed fade.

Also you can see the foliage pretty well here.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just got this off DA website:

Charles Darwin: broad, spreading growth; 140 petals; strong fragrance.

Graham Thomas: vigorous, upright growth; 45 petals; light fragrance.

A-ha! What I can do next is to pick the bloom apart and count the petals!!!

• altorama Ray
    4 years ago

That is a tough one, as many things can affect petal count, I have found.. I would compare foliage, thorns, and buds.

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

The pale yellow color reminds me of Wollerton Old Hall, but not the bloom form. WOH has a myrrh scent.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked totoro z7b Md
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago
    Zzz, I think you should count the petals. Better confirmation, I think. I remembered I did a petal count of a rose and by scent and all. Jeri and Virginia ( I miss her ) made a great a correct guess. Have fun with it :)
    It has to be one or the other :)
    jin
    needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • needmorerose_va_zone8
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your generosity of info and suggestions. The most mature bud is getting fatter and darker yellow. I am awaiting the bloom to show up for evaluation.