SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
lgslgs

OT: Buster has left the house (and garden)

lgslgs
13 years ago

Just an update for those folks who've been following news of Buster the goat over the past couple of years. We had to euthanize him on Tuesday. The link below goes to a thread with more info about Buster the house goat for those they might not know who he is.

Buster spent December in the house and gradually improved in mobility. At the start of December we thought we would have to put him down, but by Christmas he had improved so much that he was able to exercise on the hills for short periods. Right around Christmas we were able to let him spend nights sleeping with the herd and days back in the house with us. But then he had another setback and was back to barely able to walk at all.

For about 4 years he's had cycles of health and illness and he had a major leg break in 2007 that had him in a cast (in the house) for three months. There were many times we thought we were going to lose him as he dealt with a goat disease through the years. But we were able to get him past that.

This winter he's been bright, alert, and apparently pain free, but haven't been able to prevent recurring cycles of severe lameness. This week we realized that there was nothing more we could do that could ever give him the chance of successfully being a full time member of the herd again.

I've had to euthanize pets who were dying before, but never one who was still strong, living, and happy - with only his legs failing him. It was terrible. And it was terrible that it was the right thing to do.

During his last months in the house we'd take him for light exercise breaks in my garden. It's weird to be all emotional over compost, but you gardeners might understand. When I walked through my garden yesterday without him it was comforting to see the little piles of "goat berries" here and there - ready to fertilize this spring's growing. And I liked seeing the nibbled off leaves on his favorite plants.

Here's a photo of him when he was young, strong, and could walk or run as well as any other goat. He's the polka dotted beauty in the middle of the photo getting a hug from my hubby.

{{gwi:345822}}

Every garden could use a black polka dotted goat who likes to eat yellow flowers and orange tomatoes. :)

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Buster and direct sowing :)

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Stanley Martin Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Loudoun County's Premier Custom Remodeler -Design Build Firm