SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

what to do with soil -- time-off for raised beds

jollyrd
11 years ago

I need to give myself and my raised bed garden a time off. I have no time to tend them (new baby, work, etc). There is no one else who can "volunteer" to help. Last two seasons (2011 and 2012) I tried the minimalistic approach, -- only planted direct-sow greens, or relied on others to give me established plants for free. It's 3 large beds, and two smaller beds. I have time once a month to pull weeds and that is not enough. I never had time to fertilize anything. Asparagus produced very skinny shoots. Cabbages got eaten before I could rescue them. Squash and Cucumbers vines produced one or two fruits and are dead now. I rely on rain or drip hose to water tomatoes. It's a disaster to look at -- weeds in the beds and in the pathways between. I feel worse about it because of that. I have few herbs in the beds that are alive and usable - mint, sage, parsley, rosemary, lemon grass, basil, chives.

So, I decided that after this growing season is over, I would pull everything out and give the beds and myself a break for a year or two or whatever time it takes until I can get back to gardening on a more active schedule. Plus I am hoping the kid(s) will be better able to "help" or "work" in the garden by that time.

My soil is very good, organic, with compost that we made over the years.

I tried to keep it organic over the years and want to stick to that if possible. I need a plan to prevent weeds to take over. I am thinking to pile lots of chopped leaves over the beds, and then cover them with black plastic (staple it to the wood frames). What should I do with herbs? I thought about cutting holes in the plastic for the herbs to continue to grow.

Do you have any Thoughts? Suggestions? Encouragement? Thanks!!

Comments (17)