SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
famdog

My ongoing leaking tranny problem

famdog
14 years ago

So I ordered a new transaxle cooling fan and vent pipe assembly from Craftsman online yesterday. Planning in replacing the fan and pumping out the tranny oil and refilling this week with 20W50 as recommended here, thx. So I come out this AM and see some residual oil that has apparently leaked from the top of the tranny, previously only the vent tube had been spurting oil when driving. It appears some oil has made its way out from under the pulley. I had the nut, washer and fan off over the weekend, but never took the drive belt or pulley off. When I put the fan back on, I used a screwdriver to hold the pulley steady while I tightened the fan nut w/ a ratchet. Got it tight, but perhaps not tight enough? Should I crank it really tight when I install the new fan, or should I remove the pulley and replace the lip seal at the same time? Tranny is hydrogear, transaxle part # is 319-0650. Looking at the lip seal (part #3) from the exploded diagram in the image here: http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/10059522-00001.png ... any advice most appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions