SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johninmd

old school tractor

johninmd
16 years ago

Had the pleasure of repairing and using what i was told was a early 60"s Power King 2414 tractor, for those who dont know, it is about 6' long, about 4 1/2' foot to top of hood, has 12" front wheels, 24" rear wheels, 4 speed manual transmission, and a single cyl 14 hp Koler engine.

Drive train consists of a all iron engine, top to bottom all iron, has a automotive can type coil, electric pto drive on front crank end for the mower deck. It is coupled to a small automotive type bell housing with a iron 4 speed transmission that looks like a mini transmission from a 4 speed truck (ie: no belt)

Has a enclosed drive shaft to the rear that connects to what looks just like a truck rear end (ring and pinion setup) the axles protrude each way toward tires with a heavy gear on each end, which in turn drives a large gear on the stub wheel axle (gears look from the case they are in to be approx 3" for the top, and 10" for the bottom gear)

(( if i am wrong on this, please correct me, i am only going on "what it looks like from seeing it all together))

Tires are heavy good years 8.5x24 deep bar lug.

It has a belt driven hyd pump just off the engine to power the 3 pt. hitch.

A cool little machine, part looks like lawn tractor, part look like farm tractor.

As for power? well, i dragged a 93 Pontiac grand prix, with no front wheels at all on it across a yard, a road, and then pushed it in a 180 where i left it sit. tractor was in 1st gear, going putt-putt-putt-putt LOl, and wasn't even straining it.

Man, i wish you could still get tractors made this simple, and this strong today. Yes i know what they make today, like the kobota's and similar, but a simple, straight forward, no nonsense little machine, so simplistic would be awesome to have.

Don't look like the little single has ever been apart, still doesn't smoke at all, so quiet all you hear is exhaust, and just love how no matter how low the rpm, in low gear it has more power via gearing than it could ever use.

I suppose you have to be a fan of old iron to really appreciate this thing , which i am one. tires filled, maybe weights on wheels, put another hyd cyl. on front and snow plow and it would make a awesome snow plow. This thing still has all the original decals and such on it too.

I wanted to hide it and tell the owner , hmmmmmmm someone must have stolen it!!! LOL

he has a deck and 3 point garden plow for it, asked him how much he had to give for it, he says a guy gave it to him. Sheesh, why cant i find those kind of deals!

The repair i made to it was replacing outer worn out tie rod ends with 1/2" heim joints,good as new again....

Should have got a few pics but was to busy playing with it :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions