SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

The year after a drought

aachenelf z5 Mpls
15 years ago

Last summer was extremely hot and dry in MN. I think we went for almost 3 months with little or no rain. I knew I could never keep up with the watering, so my plan was to give plants only enough to keep them alive and hope for a better season next year. It was not a fun summer and the garden suffered.

This summer has been much better although we are still in need of rain. What surprised me was how everything rebounded this season expect for one or two noticeable exceptions. The lilies seemed to be the most affected. They didn't croak outright, but I bet they're half as tall as they usually are. The azaleas and rhodos also didn't bloom like they normally do, but that's about it. I was kind of amazed at how well everything else returned.

My native plant/shade garden probably looked the worst by summers end. It was totally, crispy brown, but once again everything returned and looked fantastic this spring and still looks good.

For folks who've been through this drought thing, I'm curious at what your experience has been once the rains return.

Kevin

Comments (7)