SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

Rain and deer - disaster in the rose garden!

14 years ago

After a morning tour of the rose garden I'm left with a windling number of presentabble roses. What few have survived the almost steady heavy rain, deer have eaten the buds. One day looking forward to roses blooming the next day they are gone. Curses! A pox on those rats on stilts, Pondering possible defenses. I even struggled with an effort to rig a temporary electric fence around my large pergola/arbor. So far that didn't work.

Then I made mental notes on taking cuttings from those that managed to withstand the rain/deer. Odd that some roses next to ones with deer stripped buds are untouched. Taste, thorns, new vs old or maybe next on the list?

Even perennials aren't safe. A row of Shasta Daisy't are gone, Hostas still to come are likely future victims.

Maybe around here that's why most yards are just plain grass!

Humbug!

Well I'm comforted by the sight of Baltimore Belle. Rain resistant flowers, great numbers within reach of their nibbling mouths, untouched. My grandson, at an age where counting is a fascination, has promised to count the number of flowers/buds. It has to be several hundred!

Comments (8)