SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Stinky Milk smell in jugs

terrene
16 years ago

Hi, this is my first year winter-sowing and I am loving it! Many thanks to this forum and the FAQs and Wintersown.org for making it very easy for a newbie to get started. Sowing my first containers went very easily and smoothly, after benefitting from all the great ideas I've been reading.

My son and I don't drink milk or large bottles of soda, so I've been raiding the recycle bins in town for gallon jugs and large soda bottles (even stopped at some bins in a neighboring town to get jugs). What fun!

The gallon plastic jugs people use for Spring water are my favorite (no rinsing needed!), and any bottles used for soda or Cider can get rinsed pretty clean. But no matter how much I rinse the milk jugs they still seem to have a little of that stinky milk smell. Is it okay to use them, does that smell affect the soil or plants and does it go away when the jugs sit outside?

Also, someone in the Newbie thread mentioned they were using Vitamin water bottles (20 oz). Are these bottles big enough for effective winter-sowing and how about soda bottles that are smaller, the 24 oz size? We have a bunch of those waiting for bottle return.

TIA for advice.

Here is are my first 16 containers I just put out in the snow yesterday! I numbered the outside with "permanent" marker (we'll see how permanent) and also there is a marker inside the jug as well.

{{gwi:345191}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored