SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Question about Echinacea 'Sunrise'

marcindy
14 years ago

First off, for some reason I went from finding echinaceas useful this spring to being pretty occupied with them this summer. Thanks for getting me hooked everyone! :-)

On a more serious note though, I read most of the recent threads about the problems that some varieties like the Big Sky series and others have. I bought Sunrise last fall and it is blooming and growing well. However, the flowers are really bad looking, some are ragged, heavily quilted, and some show all those symptoms on the same flower. Now I was aware that this would probably happen, but hey, it was priced really right :-) But anyway, from the comments of some fellow gardeners some of you have been able to grow Sunrise and don't have the problem with the flowers. It made me wonder, is it possible to buy plants that don't show quilted and deformed flowers. In other words, are there Sunrise plants out there that develop into what the label pic show? And if so, how do you identify them? Are they to be found by certain growers? Can you select lets say a plant that looks fine out of a batch of bad looking ones and have luck with it in the future? What about old fashioned division propagation of healthy looking plants? Shouldn't that enable the growers to produce healthy looking echinaceas that look like the advertised pictures? I am just curios, I mean at this point growers must be aware that some of the echinaceas are having these problems, so wouldn't that be a way to solve this? What do you think? Are there any healthy good looking, non-deformed Sunrise (or others) out there, and how did you find them? Does this make sense?

Comments (13)