SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Remove the Young Black Walnut near my Basswood?

Mary4b
9 years ago

Greetings,
I recently had an arborist visit my property to identify some trees and discovered that I have a Black Walnut in my thicket/woodland. My neighbors live about 150 yards away and have a mature Black Walnut...which to my knowledge, has not impacted anything in my yard even though I do occasionally find walnuts that the squirrels have buried.

Also in this natural area I have many Green Ash, a beautiful Basswood (still with smooth bark, but more than 2.5 stories high and a 8" diameter trunk) and multiple Fringe Trees which seed themselves all over the place. Most of the trees are growing very tall and "airy" to reach the canopy.

I was looking for shrubs to plant near the Black Walnut and discovered in the process that Basswood is intolerant of juglone.

Should I consider removing the smaller Black Walnut because the Basswood is much older and I love it more. I would hate to lose the Basswood in 15 years as the roots and dripline from the Black Walnut expand.

What do you think?
The Black Walnut has about a 4-5" trunk and is perhaps 12-15' high right now. It's about 20 feet from the Basswood. Both are at the edge of my lawn grass and I want to create a shrub border in front of them. To be clear, I am not opposed to the Black Walnut, but since it is not a major player yet, it seems it might be easiest to remove it before their roots meet.

Comments (10)