SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tannabanana

Does size matter?

tannabanana
15 years ago

Hello there!

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to composting. Our city does collect yard waste and any plant material once a week but I wanted to have some more readily available and to also know exactly what is in it (btw - the city is genius - we pay to have them collect our goodies and then we pay to buy it finished and bagged). My dh built me this compost bin. It works well for us as we live in a suburban area and we don't have a lot of yard space. It also keeps out mice and other such critters that we and our neighbors don't exactly want around ;)

{{gwi:297571}}

{{gwi:297572}}

Here's a pic of some soon to be compost after about a month this spring

{{gwi:297573}}

Anyway - I add to it daily mostly with veggie scraps and UCG. I also turn it once or twice a week. It seems to be breaking down nicely - however it never seems to get "hot" There are lots of worms and pill bugs and centipedes but the temps seem relatively low. Is this just not big enough to create the amount of heat needed to correctly compost? I'm thinking about heating so seeds don't germinate later on when I use it as a top dressing. Thanks for your input!

Comments (6)