SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Finally - A Spring Flush Worth Celebrating! (pics)

Hi folks

Against all odds, we've had an ideal spring for drop-dead gorgeous roses this year! I appreciate all your support and sympathy over my grousing about last year's lack of roses. We went from exceptional drought at the beginning of spring to 5 inches ahead on rain this year, with cool weather and regular rain throughout March, April and May. Boy, do the roses LOVE that! They're HUGE, bigger than they usually are in the fall, and it was amazing to watch them all set on buds the whole month of May. My heartiest sympathies go out to those of you still in drought conditions, but I had to share pictures of this year. Bear with me, as I'm still getting the hang of Photobucket...

Here's my center backyard with Mme Caroline Testout Cl, Generous Gardener and Senegal climbing the arch, Velvet Fragrance and Heart 'n' Soul in the foreground, EarthSong as the big pink bush, and lots of friends

{{gwi:263718}}

This is my mailbox bed, trying to stay short, with Liverpool Remembers in the front, Pinocchio tucked in behind it, Grand Duc Henri (I think) stretching up behind, Deep Velvet mini to the left and World's Fair as the dark red in the background.

{{gwi:284076}}

I really like Sweet Fragrance in the front yard so I've added three more of them to provide some rare consistency in my garden (smile). Here she is with Carefree Celebration toward the bottom and an oddly mismatched Clematis joining her (I'd have to dig into her thorny middle to figure out which one). Spiced Coffee is draped off to the right.

{{gwi:284078}}

These are some normally hip height roses totally overflowing their fenced area. In the foreground is Champagne Moment with my beloved Edgar Degas peeking out behind her, I think the pink is Petal Pushers next on the fence with Handel stretching over the top, and the yellowish bloom is Glowing Peace. Those of you who like an orderly rose garden are already glazed over with shock, and it's hilarious to think I dithered over deciding what colors to place next to each other. Quite clearly, the look I'm going for is "rose jungle", and this year I'm getting close.

{{gwi:284080}}

These are roses in my zone 4 pocket that I call the East Side Survivors - they have to be tough as they get no mercy or coddling from me. The tall creamy one in the foreground is Yellow Submarine, with Alexander Mackenzie at the far left, Hannah Gordon and Folksinger mingling below the arch with Eden sharing space with Quadra.

{{gwi:284082}}

Since I took literally hundreds of pictures this spring, I had to have help limiting what I'd post as a summary. I recruited my children to help me pick the prettiest pictures. When I popped the next picture up they both went "woahhh!!", and that was after dozens of other pictures. This is a Quadra that has been a freestanding shrub for 6 year that I wrestled into an arch for 3 bloody hours. Looks like he survived just fine!

{{gwi:284083}}

OK, that's enough for now, or this thread will take forever to load. I'll post some pictures of the OGRs on the Antique forum in a separate thread. I'm just so happy with the roses this year - it's actually starting to look like I've always imagined it could. Aren't roses fun??

Cynthia

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath