SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macingrace_gw

Craftsman Garden Tractor Transmission Issue

macingrace
9 years ago

Hi,

I bought a used Craftsman tractor mower, Sears model 917.27691 on the operating manual and 917.276910 on the other manual. The mower has a designation of GS6500 on the hood.

Anyway I bought it knowing it had a transmission issue, might have been dumb, but it came with a large snow plow, tire chains, (no tire weights, the tires have some kind of foam in them and they are heavy, so just another little extra I think, may still need wheel weights), and a pull behind trailer.

It is much heavier duty than my previous mower. This mower is 26 hp, 54" deck. I decided to buy all for $500 thinking worse case scenario I could sell it all for $500 or more. It has 24 hours on it is all. In brand new condition, except the mower is hard to put into gear and it sometimes is jerky when driving, sometimes it drives better but makes a cracking noise on occasion and sometimes it takes a while to catch and go. I am guessing the previous owner was shifting gears without using the clutch.

I have looked around and found a new transaxle, (not sure if that will fix the hard to put into gear issue, should fix the jerkiness, slow to catch and cracking noise?), it has a Peerless 820-040 6 speed, I have found it for $733.00. I have tried to find one cheaper with no luck. I really am not a mechanic and don't want to try to fix it myself, (I did find the repair manual from Tecumseh on how to fix the transaxle), I am pretty handy but looks pretty complicated, and lots of parts to mess up. So far I have not found anyone that wants to rebuild the transaxle either. So I am not sure whether I should purchase new transaxle and put it on, or resell the tractor.

I was a little surprised when I found out I have to use the clutch to shift every time and be completely stopped. The last tractor had a hydrostatic transaxle and it was a breeze to operate. I am sure I can get used to the manual transaxle. I do have a lot of drive way to shovel, it would be nice to have the plow, and the heavy duty tractor.

From my research, the new price on this mower was in the $2500 to $3000 dollar range. So even if I put in the new transaxle it is still only $1233.00 for everything. Still sounds like a good deal if I like the manual gears.

I am looking for opinions, just to use as sounding board and see what others think. I will access all info, as well as keep doing my own research and decide what I want to do. If anyone knows of a place to get a less expensive transaxle or someone near Cheyenne, Wy to get this one fixed that would be awesome as well.

Thanks for the time and sorry for long a story.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions