SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peyes21

mtd 42' 16 hp brakes

peyes21
14 years ago

Thanks for the help earlier with the transmission issue. I got the manual and tried to adjust the brakes. I just cant get the hang of it; even following the manual. The manual states for me to loosen the nut (mine is just a regular locknut) and adjust the nut until the brake begins to engage when the lever is 1/4" to 5/16" away from the axel housing. I believe that I know how the brake works by pulling the twisted metal brake lever forward and forcing pressure against the disc. I just don't understand what is happening when I loosen and tighten the nut. Should the clutch/brake be set to park or in gear? Should I be moving the brake lever forward and backward as I tighten the nut? Or does the position that the locknut is in on the threaded shaft regulate the pressure on the brake disc. I keep trying to move the twisted metal brake lever about a 1/4" away from the axel housing and tighten the nut up all the way. It locks the brakes every time. Ive got the nut very loose and I seem to have brakes but Im worried that the nut will fall off. Anyone have a clear cut way to do this. BTW my mower number is 132-670g736. Im using the MTD manual # 770-7851G. Thanks again for the help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions