SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistressjoy

Craftsman LT3000 or YS4500 42' Help a non-mechanic newbie!

MistressJoy
16 years ago

My local Sears is having a sale, last year's model LT3000 (27682) 42 " Briggs & Stratton Intek Plus, cast iron front axle on sale for $1259. Not sure if I can find a last year's model YS4500 on sale, but here are some points posters have pointed out:

Guage of deck (need to find out on both models)

Engine cylinders (don't know why single vs. twin is important, though)

Front Axle (steel vs. cast iron-flexibility vs. durability?)

Transmission: manual vs. hydro (I would really like hydro as I think I'd be happier without all that shifting.)

Engine: Kohler or B&S (think I would prefer B&S)

My needs: area to be mowed (1+ acres) is not contiguous-back, sides, driveway teardrop. 42" should be adequate. Gentle slope at one end of back, some tree roots, some uneven patches. My GREATEST need is for eas of use and maintenance. As a single mom, I am not a mechanic, I WILL read the manual and perform basic maintnenance, but I am not familiar with parts, taking apart things, etc. I think the mulching kit and rubber cart would come in handy. I am hoping not to spend above $1,300 and Sears has a 5% cash back if you use their card for the purchase.

Can anyone advise me as to the best way to go, and above all, why? Technical details are important, but understanding the whys (for a newbie to all this) will help me understand if it would make a difference to ME. I just want a reliable, mechanically sound, trouble-free machine that is EASILY maintained. Is that too much to ask for? TIA

Comments (17)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions