SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steff442

Another WinterSowing Newb with questions..

steff442
13 years ago

Hi there! I am brand new to the forums and WS (and gardening for that matter), and trying my hand at this fascinating hobby for the first time. I have diligently read through Trudi's site (Thanks for the seeds, Trudi!) and have been stalking this forum for a while, so now I have questions:

I started by sowing Rudbeckia and Echinacea in milk jugs on Solstice, then on to other perennials (as time has allowed) into milk jugs and 2L bottles.

Since I live in an area that is abundant in "liquid sunshine", I don't expect to have difficulty with watering these babies all through spring. Last year it rained all through June and part of July! Gotta love Oregon. Sigh...

I think the biggest issue I may run across could be that my containers may be too wet. I am unsure as to how to tell. Anything I should look for besides the obvious lakes they could turn into? I have about 5-7 drainage holes on each of them, if that helps. Should I make some more?

Also, I work nights. Come spring, I will be going to bed just as the noontime sun hits. I am concerned that my seedlings might fry because I won't be able to monitor the temp inside during the day. I have the containers on the east side of my house, up against a low retaining wall. I assume that this would be considered "part shade" because I believe they only will get morning sun..? Are there any other "night owls" in this forum that have some tips on avoiding this problem?

Of course I have a zillion more questions..But I figure it would be a faux pas to introduce myself to this forum by asking each and every one, lol!

Anyway, suggestions welcome here. You all are amazing, and I would love for some of that to rub off on me!

Thanks,

Steff

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH