SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalgreen

Craftsman tractor electrical problem

lalgreen
13 years ago

Hi,

I have a Craftsman riding mower model 917270810, with a B&S twin-cyl 42E707 engine. I recently had a starting prob and noticed that I wasn't getting a spark so had to replace the ignition coil. After that it was starting ok, but I noticed that it was blowing white smoke and dripping gas/oil on the muffler and I finally traced it to the breather hose having come loose.

Anyway I finally got everything working fine last night, but after using it for about 30 mins this afternoon (probly not the smartest idea, it was 95deg out) the engine started to suddenly rev up and down, wheezing almost as if it was out of gas. I stopped to check the tank, there was enough even though it wasn't quite fresh (abt 2-3 weeks old, I had last used it before the coil died and I had to wait for the part delivery, then found the prob with the hose, etc). I checked the plugs, both were sparking so the coil was fine. Noticed slight smear of gas inside the air filter assembly, but it wasn't a lot and there was no white smoke this time. I was out of clues so decided to take the engine cover off anyway and see if I could find anything else. That's when the whole thing died on me completely. Not even turning over, kaput.

It almost feels like a dead battery, except that I had put in a brand new one (and plugs) less than a month ago when the coil first started acting up. I'm not sure how to check for electrical wiring issues, since I'm finding the wiring schematic kind of hard to trace as it doesn't pinpoint the physical location of each point on the circuit.

Would appreciate any help, tips to eliminate and narrow it down to specific parts, etc. Sorry for the long post, I was just trying to put the entire history and not miss anything that might be relevant.

Thanks, and a happy 4th of July to everyone.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions