SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockhound758

GT 235 Engine Problems--Black Smoke, White Smoke

rockhound758
14 years ago

I have a 1999 JD GT235 that I've been very happy with. It's been a trooper. I got almost 10 years out of the original battery and with normal maintenance it's done a great job.

In cutting the grass today, I noticed that when starting the engine I get a second or two of white smoke once it's started, but it's not noticeable after that. If I go from high to low rpms quickly, I also get some white smoke for a second or two. If I go quickly from LOW to high rpm, I get a bit of black smoke, again for a second or two. At high rpms the engine runs fine with a very small bit of roughness.

I changed the oil last week (even got JD oil since I was there...ay carumba). Oil level is fine. I checked the air filter and there is a very small amount of what looks like oil around the top of the filter frame (on the top surface).

Any guesses/suggestions? Head gasket? I don't seem to be burning oil (at least based on the stick measure). If I had a bit too MUCH oil, would that cause any problems? And suggestions as to where to take it? I have a local JD dealer here in my town, but I'm quite sure they'll be pretty expensive.

Advice, diagnostic suggestions, etc. are much appreciated! I like the tractor and it's run well for me...I don't know much about JD stuff lately but this has been a solid performer.

Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions